LegacyGT.com

Oil & winter question.

Admittedly, I can be a bit of a worry wart when it comes to things like this, so I'd figure I'd ask for everyone opinion.

I did my 60k service on Thanksgiving this past November. In the past I had been using AMSoil 5w-30, however, recently I had noticed that I started burning oil every few hundred miles (not a lot, but enough for me to take notice). So @ 60k I switched to a slightly thicker oil, Motul 10w-40, in hopes to stop the oil consumption.

While the 10w-40 has seemed to stop the oil consumption, I'm a bit worried now with the unseasonably cold weather we seem to be having now (6 degrees this morning), that on cold starts, the 10w isn't providing the protection it should. I have been letting the car idle for a minute or two now and taking it easy until full warm up without issue, but I keep thinking I should rush out a switch the oil back to a 5w-30 ASAP. Am I overblowing this?

Any helpful insight would be welcomed! Thanks!

What about 0-40w? Synthetic is always a better flow option in the cold, so you're probably ok either way. A block heater would help, but in a condo/townhouse (generally the norm in DC) you have the headache of running an electric cord across the sidewalk.

Archived