LegacyGT.com

thinking about getting this 06 lgt wagon

njrick

although I was recently looking at the accord coupe, I stumbled upon this beauty at the subaru dealer today, very hard to resist this purchase, maybe I'll pull the trigger. It was a blast to drive, but the only down sides are premium fuel and the fact that subaru's need some work at 90,000 miles. A car one year older than what I previously drive doesn't seem like a smart choice but this car is beautiful. What do you guys think?

http://www.worldsubaru.com/used/Subaru/2006-Subaru-Legacy+Wagon-Freehold-NJ-a13eab380a0a0065085137102b38bc03.htm

I have almost 160K miles on my 2005 LGT wagon with very little money spent on repairs; a few smaller things. As I said in another thread, I test drove two Accords last year and each time when I got back into my LGT I realized how much I liked driving it more than the (good handling) Accord. I also think the LGT wagon is much better looking than the sedan, as well as being able to carry stuff when needed.

Disclaimer: I don't own a LGT yet.

From what I've learned surfing the forums and talking to my mechanic, Subaru's have a pricier 100k service than most. That being said, having worked on many vehicles, Subaru builds a VERY solid car! My father in law has an 04 Forester that has always been in WI and it has less rust than my 02 AZ Eclipse had after only 3 WI winters. If you have the money or know-how to do the 100k maintenance you will be in good shape. Budget around $1,600 for the 100k and get the head gaskets changed too. Not necessary but if the engine is already out of the car it can save you money/time later. It should be cheaper than that, but set aside the money. I have decided to look for an 08-09 with low mileage because I can budget for the monthly payments but would have a hard time keeping the maintenance money in the bank.

People get a Subie because they WANT one. Not because they have legendary reliability, spectacular handling, or mind blowing power. It's a want, not a need. But the awd is a huge bonus, they are enjoyable to drive, and it will hold value very well too... if you need to justify your choice.

I just bought the sedan, non-limited version with the same miles and price.

Read through the rest of the issues people have with these cars, especially the 05-06 (catted up-pipe, banjo bolt filters) and see if you can find some more history on the car. Was the previous owner the original, or has it been through a couple different owners? Ask the dealer to quote you the 90k and 105k services together (usually the easiest) and see if makes sense for your budget.

The AWD system is great, but it and the turbo do require higher maintenance cost. The higher cost of premium should not be a huge deal- if you do the math it is about $5 more a tank compared to regular. If you keep your foot out of it the mileage shouldn't be too bad, but I think I read on here the 5EAT (which that one is) just sucks more gas compared to the manual.

Archived