LegacyGT.com

Cold soak on the highway causing strange noises

Okay, so here's an interesting question for everyone. As the weather has gotten colder, I've noticed a new noise develop. In order to get the noise to happen, I need to be driving at freeway speed for more than 30-45 minutes in temps 10 F or below.

Once I pull off the freeway is when it actually makes the noise. For example, pulling away from the stop sign/stop light at the end of the off-ramp, I'll notice a loud grinding noise when the engine is freely decelerating (like during an upshift). As soon as the next gear in engaged and I start accelerating again, there's no noise. As soon as the car has sat for a few minutes (like when getting gas) or is driven around town for a little bit it goes away. I don't notice it while the engine is loaded (either accel or engine braking).

The noise sounds exaclty the same as when you try to engage the starter on an already running engine. Again, it only happens after a long freeway drive in cold temps.

So, something appears to be getting cold soaked and making strange noises. My initial theory is the powersteering. Since I purchase the car, the power steering pump has made a pretty loud whine on cold start. It quiets down a lot once the engine is warmed up, but I'm wondering if the combination of cold air under the car and lack of steering on the freeway (so fluid doesn't really circulate in the rack, I think) is stressing the pump once I'm off the freeway and causing the noise. Exiting the freeway usualy involved steering, but I've never expressly tested to see if the noise and steering are related.

Just looking to bounce ideas off everyone here. Could I be on-track with the power steering idea, or is there something else that I could look into? In the city, the car drives great with no indications of other problems (like turbo or engine internals). Actually, the car drives great everywhere, just makes this weird noise sometimes.

FWIW, my OEM PS pump is loud for the first couple seconds when its very cold out too.

Read the current thread about PS issues, I posted in it today. See if you have any of that ?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/no-power-steering-219035.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived