LegacyGT.com

Too good to be true?

Trennttt

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4259249064.html

I found this ad back on the 26th of December when the price was listed at $2400 and he has an even older one listed from the 23rd at the same time but had waited until the 1st to get the text the owner, didn't want to bite too fast on such a deal in hopes it goes down more. Soon after we got talking about the car and then the next day I check and the price and he had raised it up to $6800, which I wasn't so mad about because it still is worth so much more in the kbb. I go today(it is being sold from a car lot) so I drive it and around and check everything over. Man this car was spotless on the inside and the engine bay, but the outside had dings and scratches all around. In the Auto check it had so time up north but everything was immaculate for it being an 2002. Only things that are giving me doubts are when I asked about the owner history they said something about marriage and divorce can create two owners so I was figuring it was a tough spot, but when I look it over there is a bit of a smashed in part about the frame. I texted the guy about it a couple hours ago but he hasn't replied. Any help for a new guy to the Subaru game?

Sketchy CL ad is sketchy.

Waaay overvalued for a 3rd gen. That's knocking on the door of a true turbo 4th gen which you will like a helluva lot more. The 3rd gen GT's got f*ckall in the way of performance upgrades over the base model, so more or less they're just base model legacies with outback dash trim and painted door handles/mirrors.

Would have been a solid deal at $2400. . . but not $7k. $4k tops.

The KBB for a dealership is $8878 even on the low end so I don't see it being worth only $4k with how few there are in the area especially. It seems that the dealer and the owner (they might have been the same person, not like they would ever tell me) were talking throughout my whole visit there because they were feeding me the same lines about car being such a great value for the price and that the car might get sold to the dealership that day.

And Edmunds puts it at $4300 private party, $3700 trade in. I stand by my original from-the-hip assessment of $4k.

Yes, it's relatively low miles, but it'll still need all the maintenance done one with 105k would have on it. Rubber bits wear out from sitting the same as they do from being used. It's due for a timing belt on age alone. . . probably needs struts & drive belts and a host of other things.

And again, there's nothing really special about a 3rd gen GT. It's a Legacy SE with a spoiler and color matched door handles. That one doesn't even have the cold weather package. Move up to the 4th gen GT and you get something with some real power and handling capabilities.

Ad indicates the owner has taken the car to a dealer's lot to sell it. . . and if you want the "special" price of $6800 you've gotta deal with the owner, who can't be bothered as his "time is limited".

Oh, and the only way they're getting 30+MPG from that is if they never break 40mph or drive downhill all day. 25-27mpg is a lot closer to reality.

When are you ever gonna get a car for edmunds price anywhere when there is even a thousand dollar difference from KBB?

The thing is the car had new belts, fresh fluids with no leaks, and there wasn't anything coming from the struts or the CVs when I was checking it over (not even some grime). I won't be adding much to the mile seeing as I am moving to my job in the next couple months so I don't think that I will hit 100K for about 5 years.

As for getting a 4th gen, I can't find a decent one for under 10k close to me.

Yeah I figured that I was only dealing with the dealership when I showed up after thinking how the guy was talking about it over the phone. I know the guys are tryna get it off the lot hard but I can't figure out why.

Right now I am driving a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan with no o2 sensor wiring and a bad transmission so maybe driving anything that isn't that just has me swooning but even still I knew the gas mileage was a lie.

And Edmunds puts it at $4300 private party, $3700 trade in. I stand by my original from-the-hip assessment of $4k.

Yes, it's relatively low miles, but it'll still need all the maintenance done one with 105k would have on it. Rubber bits wear out from sitting the same as they do from being used. It's due for a timing belt on age alone. . . probably needs struts & drive belts and a host of other things.

And again, there's nothing really special about a 3rd gen GT. It's a Legacy SE with a spoiler and color matched door handles. That one doesn't even have the cold weather package. Move up to the 4th gen GT and you get something with some real power and handling capabilities.

Ad indicates the owner has taken the car to a dealer's lot to sell it. . . and if you want the "special" price of $6800 you've gotta deal with the owner, who can't be bothered as his "time is limited".

Oh, and the only way they're getting 30+MPG from that is if they never break 40mph or drive downhill all day. 25-27mpg is a lot closer to reality.

Archived