LegacyGT.com

2.5 vs 2.2 engine when buying a new legacy

For three years I owned a pretty awesome car. I bought one back in 2010 and it hooked me. My 1997 legacy outback, 2.2L it was one hell of a reliable car, until someone rear-ended me and totaled it. So now I'm scrambling to get a comparable replacement. I found a 97 outback: with a fully rebuilt motor. Brand new head gaskets, head bolts, oil pump, valve seals, rear main seal, all gaskets replaced new spark plugs, plug wires, thermostat, timing belt, timing tensioner, timing pulleys, new brakes all around......but it has the 2.5L engine. From what I've heard the 2.2's are bullet proof! I know mine certainly was, not to mention how it got some great gas mileage. I'm not so much concerned with the MPG but the reliability of that 2.5 over.....pretty much the entire life of the car, because I plan to have my next Subaru for a while. So Should I hold out for that 2.2 or is getting that 2.5 no big deal and has at least another 50K in her?

Thanks for anyone's help.

if the rebuild was a quality job, the ej25 is / can be a good engine.

not as great as the ej22, but still good.

and a little more fun to drive.

and outbacks with the ej22 are not as common.

only the 96 manual trans outback came from the factory with the ej22.

other outbacks or GTs with the ej22 are ones that the engine was swapped in.

is the outback with the rebuilt ej25 in your price range?

actually, yea! yesterday he was asking $2900 and today it was lowered to $2600. I'd gladly spend that for a 2.2 with all the same stuff. He says the car has 155K on it with the rebuilt 2.5. So I'm thinking it i should just take the deal.

If they used OEM Head gaskets when it was rebuilt then you should be golden! SUbaru came out with a "fix" head gasket in 2003 or so for the EJ25D. The new gasket is a 4 layer, where as the original was 3. The new gaskets are great. Ive got 200,000 + miles on both of my Ej25D's, both with the new gaskets. They're still going strong.

I found a '98 2.2L right down the street from where I work. same mileage as the 2.5, looks in great shape and only $2K! It's Automatic though. Even though I'd rather not drive a stick, I've grown awfully accustomed to it. Any problems with the auto trans in the 98s or any complaints on how well they do in the snow or fuel use differences?

I have a 5mt and a 4eat. Personally I prefer the manual because I like to rev the engine and waste gas. But the 4eat can be really smooth and is a nice reliable transmission. My buddy's 4eat w/70k is amazingly smooth, you can't feel the shifts but she drives like a grandma.

if you buy an auto trans car,

do 3 drains and fills to replace the trans fluid.

the 4eat is hardy and durable, usually lasting the life of the car, if serviced and maintained.

change the fluid.

That's on my to-do list for the spring when it gets a bit warmer. Also need to do the same on the Sienna and Honda Accord.

Archived