LegacyGT.com

The infamous passenger side valve cover oil leak

About 5k miles ago, I got my heads rebuilt and valve clearance back into specs. However, 300 miles after the rebuild I developed the infamous valve cover PS leak.

I've been keeping an eye on it and it does not appear to leak a lot, though I can smell it through the vents at times while idling.

---> My question is: how much oil would you guesstimate I am loosing over say a 1k mile with such a leak? I know this is the only oil leak my engine currently has.

I am just curious to know cause I've been adding quite a lot of oil lately (1 quart over 1k). I recall it was nearly 1 quart for 3k before the rebuild...

If you just had your heads rebuilt, your valve cover gasket should not be leaking. Is it possible that they forgot to tighten the valve cover bolts when heads were installed? If the ones on the bottom are loose you could be dripping quite a bit, but that should create quite a bit of smoke.

I checked the bolts. They are all tight. I know that if you do not follow the proper protocol to tighten the valve cover, it is almost certain it will leak. On top of that, I did not change the half moon seals :redface: (Don't flame me Byron..). So it's probably why it's leaking.

On another note, the last 1k mile I've done were pure freeway speed (70-80 mph), which may have contributed to an accelerated rate of oil burning. Who knows..

I see you answered my question without me having to ask...

Can you get a picture of the area around the valve cover with the half moons?

wait a minute....they rebuilt the heads and during the hot tank process the half moons were not eaten away.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I see you answered my question without me having to ask...

Can you get a picture of the area around the valve cover with the half moons?

wait a minute....they rebuilt the heads and during the hot tank process the half moons were not eaten away.

I'll try to get a picture when I can. Well, maybe I used the wrong words when I said 'rebuilt'. They basically took care of the valves themselves, and replaced the appropriate buckets to get the valve clearance back to spec. That's all they did really (not a Subaru shop).

valve seals were replaced. They are part of the full gasket kit. However, I've been wondering if they swapped the seals (put the intake seals on the exhaust valves and vice-versa). It's so easy to mess up if you don't pay attention (they only differ by color). I do recall reminding the guys about it. But you know....

I understand that if the seals are bad (or swapped), I should see smoke at cold start up. I have not paid attention yet to this..

A compression test may be the next step in troubleshooting. And/Or may be a leak down test after that.

Back in the day, there was a thought that when you fixed the heads and not the rings, etc. The next weakest point was going to show up...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah. I have a feeling ringland is next. I've been keeping track of roughness counts in each cylinder lately. I am noticing #2 is getting random 1-6 misfires at idle (a count of 30+ should give a CEL). One day it even went to 16. I'll probably check the usual suspects first (spark/coil/injector), though spark plugs are only 7k old.

Great..

The half moons are plastic pieces... they do not need to be replaced but if you do not clean them thoroughly and then properly silicone them in with the procedure outlined in the repair manual you asking for a leak. I just did two motors recently and followed all the silicone procedures outlined by Subaru and I have absolutely no leaks... Didn't follow any special torquing procedure either on the valve covers, just tightened the bolts.

Miss-fires are what proceeded my ring-land failure, chased it for about a year and replaced upper intake gaskets thinking that was the culprit. Shortly after it went kablewy... never even got a chance to do a compression check or leak down.

Archived