LegacyGT.com

Auto to manual wiring differences

if you are putting a manual trans in an auto trans car,

you don't have to swap any wiring harness.

you do need to tell the computer it is a manual trans,

but that can be done fairly easily,

once you know what is needed.

if you are putting a manual trans in an auto trans car,

you don't have to swap any wiring harness.

you no need to tell the computer it is a manual trans,

but that can be done fairly easily,

once you know what is needed.

Ok thanks I hope I can get the car tomorrow and it hasnt been sold.

• 2 weeks later...
I made a deal for the donor car its a 97 and mine is a 98. I heard something about the cruise control is different is that true? Wondering how much of the wiring ill need to pull from the donor.

you need to wire in the clutch switch (optional) and starter interlock relay into the ignition circuit

i opted to make a plug and play harness so i could throw in a AT if I ever needed to again:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/wakeboardingguy/Black%20Subaru/IMG_20130419_185742_650.jpg

other than that, grab the AT harness and a foot or so of it's wiring, you can get your cruise to work with the MT

So im guessing it would be more of a pain to swap harnesses then to just make a plug n play harness. Im just trying to find a detailed walk through of what all I need to do. Sure im going to need some wiring diagrams too.

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking at the wiring some today and was thinking about taking the ecu and harness and using it in my car since it had all the connectors to the trans.

The other harness under the hood looks to be used for the abs/evap/cruise stuff like that. On the auto that harness also plugs into the trans. I might just keep that 2nd harness on my car and forget about having the abs work cause I dont like it anyway.

If I switched out both harnesses im not sure how that would work since the 97 has the evap under the hood that runs off the second harness and the connector for the brake level is different so not sure if i could just splice that or not. Still open to options but I think it would definetly be best to use the ecu and the engine harness off the 97 which looks like it will plug into the harness alrdy on the intake of my 98 I hope.

Been trying to do research all day at work. I think ill just use my 98 wiring and try to make some plug n play harnesses. Im still not sure what all wires need to connect to where tho. Trying to get some help from someone who has done this before.

Archived