LegacyGT.com

HEATER FAN NOT WORKING No it's not the resistor

So since I've had my 98 lgt the heater fan has not worked looked up all sorts of of threads with most of them leading the resistor to being the problem but mine when turned in any power mode does not work I've removed heater fan hard wired it to battery and it works fuses are good. Could it be the actual speed dial although all the lights for ac and everything else light up any help would be appreciated

When the blower fan speed resistor fails you will still have the highest fan or #4 blower speed. So if you applied a 12+ and Neg to the fan motor and it works, checked the fuses then what I would do is this. Get your test light, I use a Power Probe, and test the circuits at the resistor. The connector to the resistor and make sure your getting the output from the blower speed switch. If I can recall it should be a +12 volt consistent and the switching is the ground. Just probe each wire and make sure it's switching, if not then do the same thing for the connector for the speed switch at the HVAC control on the dash.

Yeah thats what i was thinking too, i was just reading the fsm and thats pretty much what it said to do. Cause as it is the fans not kicking on at and doesnt make a sound. Im getting heat when im at cruising just coming through the vents, but no actual power behind it

If you don't want to mess around with testing a used HVAC control unit can be bought fairly cheap at a junk yard. I don't think I've ever had to replace one on a second gen legacy but it's possible for sure. Testing will save a headache if a wire is the issue.

Yeah i called a local one they said $45 for the whole unit so I might just go pick it up and see if thats what it is, then start testing i just dont want to take apart my dash and glove box for the 100th time lol

The HVAC control is not hard to replace, Mine wasn't changing modes (would blow air through the dash vents no matter what the setting). I got one from Ebay for $30 and put it in an about an hour (they is a sticky posted on the forum on how to remove it, including changing out the 3 illumination bulbs as well)

Lol yeah I hear ya but it doesn't bother my I just got back from working up In Nome Ak it's pretty damn cold up there. But no the car was just sitting for like 8 years when I bought it and the fan just never worked, it blows hot once it warmed up and driving but not with any type of force

Archived