LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

Also, if any of you plan on unplugging that plug in the rear (R60) make sure you have your keys handy, the alarm goes off when you plug it back in. At least mine did

That's probably because the trunk lid actuator is part of R60.

I'm all set up and ready to go. All i need is to find pin connectors. I have the rca plug already to go and be crimped and plugged in.

Edit: 8PM

Well got a little antsy. I ended up shoving the power, shield, and ground wire into their perspective sockets to make sure the camera works before I went even farther. Low and behold it does. Instead of pulling the wires back out, I left them there and put a piece of tape over them so they don't pop out until I found the appropriate pins for the R60 plug. It's to dark now, but second to last thing I need to do is connect the green wires so the parking lines on the camera disappear.

Edited by Hepy117

I'm all set up and ready to go. All i need is to find pin connectors. I have the rca plug already to go and be crimped and plugged in.

Edit: 8PM

Well got a little antsy. I ended up shoving the power, shield, and ground wire into their perspective sockets to make sure the camera works before I went even farther. Low and behold it does. Instead of pulling the wires back out, I left them there and put a piece of tape over them so they don't pop out until I found the appropriate pins for the R60 plug. It's to dark now, but second to last thing I need to do is connect the green wires so the parking lines on the camera disappear.

Careful with those green wires; they're like 24awg and extremely fragile.

It's on purpose. Since the factory position for the camera is to the left side of the car's centerline, the camera's image will be similarly pushed to the left (assuming camera pointed horizontally perpendicular -- straight back).

Now imagine where the camera would show the stripes on a parking space that you were backing straight into (with car's body centered moving into the space). Those lines would appear to be shifted towards the right side of the image. Thus, the HU's parking guide lines attempt to match that location, to tell you how to back in.

The HU should have a function to adjust the lines. We just need to figure out how to access that menu.

I just found a video that shows this. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cdmKV9owY]2013 Subaru Outback 3.6r (Special Appearance Package) Walk Around and Review - YouTube[/ame]

Go to the 3:10 mark.

I have a question regarding this topic.

I have 2014 premium 2.5 outback with PE669U1 head unit and tried if camera functions work. I grounded pin 8, turn key into on, reverse gear but the display did nothing. Then I connected pins 8 and 12 and did the same. Nothing changed.

Does it mean that my headunit does not support camera (but it should)? Am I doing something wrong?

I have a question regarding this topic.

I have 2014 premium 2.5 outback with PE669U1 head unit and tried if camera functions work. I grounded pin 8, turn key into on, reverse gear but the display did nothing. Then I connected pins 8 and 12 and did the same. Nothing changed.

Does it mean that my headunit does not support camera (but it should)? Am I doing something wrong?

check if pin 2 - reverse gear detect - has +12V when you put the car in reverse

• 2 weeks later...
It will actually have a connector for the camera, so you could then figure out what the mating connector is to that, put that on the camera, and then plug it directly into the wiring harness (the part from Subaru is 81811AJ05A (MSRP $78.47))

I think the Toyota part info above is correct - looking at the connector in the Toyota catalog, you can get a pigtail with a pin on it (p/n 82998-12330) for $7 (MSRP), but that's just one, and it's only 160mm long, so you'd need to extend it a bit. I haven't decided which way to go yet - I could just buy the harness with subarubucks and be done with it... not going to have the time to mess with that for a while, though.

I have this terminal - 82998-12330 ( ebay # 281434884684). Thank you!!

• 1 month later...
The only thing you have to do is run the harness to the front. Connect the two video lines to the hu and the power wire to the hu. Pickup the ground in the trunk and your done. There is NO splicing that way. You are only adding to the stock connector.