LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

Also, what terminals would I use to add wires to the camera at the trunk connector?

Does anyone know which pins to purchase that fit into the connector for the HU? And the pins for the connector in the trunk?

^^Any help here?

Anyone know the part number (on mouser or elsewhere) for the pins used in the connector for the trunk cable (the one which pictures were posted of showing the camera wires going that far) to add in the additional terminals going to the camera without having to splice?

I have asked 3 times already....and nothing? dunno-smiley-emoticon.gif.16a0bb44c09677860816f1b781fe1ed0.gif

Well, if the part number embossed on it is correct, google suggests it's been replaced by 90980-11537, which would be a Sumitomo 2.3II(090II) TS Unsealed Series 10 Position Female - the picture/dimensions look right...

http://www.newunitedracetech.com/shop/sumitomo-23ii090ii-ts-unsealed-series-10-position-female-housing-natural-p-8987.html?cPath=19_36_68_1487_530

• 1 month later...

Finally ordered my Rydeen Miny camera last night. Just so I make sure I am connecting it correctly. Hopefully this is correct. Next step to to figure out how I want to connect the wires to the proper pin. Not sure if I want to pull out the wires and solder (space) or what. Who's got a suggestion?

Yellow from camera goes to yellow (pin 9) on R60

Red from camera goes to white/blue (pin 8) on R60

Black from camera goes to blue/orange (pin 7) on R60

White from camera goes to blue/yellow (pin 6) on R60

Those are for the connector that plugs into the HU. We need one of those to ground one of the pins to activate the back up camera function in the HU. I have 10 if you need one.

What we need is the pins for the connector in the trunk so we can just add wires from that connector to the camera and utilize the wires that are already run in the cars harness from the trunk to the HU.

Those are for the connector that plugs into the HU. We need one of those to ground one of the pins to activate the back up camera function in the HU. I have 10 if you need one.

What we need is the pins for the connector in the trunk so we can just add wires from that connector to the camera and utilize the wires that are already run in the cars harness from the trunk to the HU.

Oh i figured they would be the same.

And nope i already got a pin and have slot 8 grounded. Getting the awesome black screen on reverse until i get my camera in. I hope someone figures out the pin soon because i want to make the install clean. Non of the vampire clips or splicing deals.

Yeah, me too, not a fan of t-taps. Maybe I will pull the connector and work a pin out and get a good picture of it, that may get us some action on finding what it is. Edited by GTEASER

The other side is the trunk harness to the tail lights and license plate lights. We could buy the alternative harness from Subaru for cars with backup camera, it has the extra wires that fill those pin locations, but its something like $60.

The other side is the trunk harness to the tail lights and license plate lights. We could buy the alternative harness from Subaru for cars with backup camera, it has the extra wires that fill those pin locations, but its something like $60.

So that harness would plug into the rear lights, and have wires coming out for the backup camera and then plugs into the R60 connector? So then the only thing needed would be to connect the camera wires together. I kinda like that idea if we cant figure out the pins for the R60 connector.

GT, as always, you're a wealth of knowledge. Im glad you bought a LGT :-)

It will actually have a connector for the camera, so you could then figure out what the mating connector is to that, put that on the camera, and then plug it directly into the wiring harness (the part from Subaru is 81811AJ05A (MSRP $78.47))

I think the Toyota part info above is correct - looking at the connector in the Toyota catalog, you can get a pigtail with a pin on it (p/n 82998-12330) for $7 (MSRP), but that's just one, and it's only 160mm long, so you'd need to extend it a bit. I haven't decided which way to go yet - I could just buy the harness with subarubucks and be done with it... not going to have the time to mess with that for a while, though.

It will actually have a connector for the camera, so you could then figure out what the mating connector is to that, put that on the camera, and then plug it directly into the wiring harness (the part from Subaru is 81811AJ05A (MSRP $78.47))

I think the Toyota part info above is correct - looking at the connector in the Toyota catalog, you can get a pigtail with a pin on it (p/n 82998-12330) for $7 (MSRP), but that's just one, and it's only 160mm long, so you'd need to extend it a bit. I haven't decided which way to go yet - I could just buy the harness with subarubucks and be done with it... not going to have the time to mess with that for a while, though.

Ok so the subaru harness will replace the current one in the car and has an extra plug for the camera. Then i can get those toyota pins/wires and find the stock camera plug to mate to the subaru harness. Plug the toyota pins into that plug and then connect camera wires to the toyota pins.

Had to read that twice to make sure it made sense. Hope it does

Ok so the subaru harness will replace the current one in the car and has an extra plug for the camera. Then i can get those toyota pins/wires and find the stock camera plug to mate to the subaru harness. Plug the toyota pins into that plug and then connect camera wires to the toyota pins.

Had to read that twice to make sure it made sense. Hope it does

No - if you buy the harness from Subaru, it mates to the connector in your trunk (replacing your existing trunk lid harness) and then will have a separate connector for the camera that breaks out in the middle of the trunk lid. That one is probably a more traditional Subaru connector that you can buy a mate for from Digikey or someplace like that.

The other option is to buy (possibly) the pigtail mentioned above - that would plug into the connector to your existing trunk harness, and allow you to attach leads to the pigtails (since they are short) that you would run to your camera - in a nutshell, you would be modifying your existing trunk harness so that it was like the one for cars with the camera. (so it's an either/or sort of thing, you wouldn't do both)

then you'd be cutting a square hole in the trunk!

For the wires, when you pull the trim piece off the trunk that goes above the license plates, there are 4 bolts and one plastic fastener - if you remove the plastic fastener, you have a hole to run the wires through, then you just need to go from there up to the connector inside the trunk and you're good. (someone already did this in their install, but I forget who - if you search a bit it should come up)

then you'd be cutting a square hole in the trunk!

For the wires, when you pull the trim piece off the trunk that goes above the license plates, there are 4 bolts and one plastic fastener - if you remove the plastic fastener, you have a hole to run the wires through, then you just need to go from there up to the connector inside the trunk and you're good. (someone already did this in their install, but I forget who - if you search a bit it should come up)

I removed the fastener and ran the wires through the hole. But, I didn't have the right wiring on the connector, so I had to run the camera wires all the way to the head unit.

Got the camera electrical taped on and the first part of the wiring run until i figure out the rest of the wiring. I hope the electrical tape hold it long enough till i can test the camera so i know if it needs any adjustments

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/28/355429dddec188d275a2dce7c0f1f107.jpg

Yep i got that part. My next is figuring out the wiring to go to the R60 plug.

Here are the wires coming from the camera. Now im lost.

Do i need to pull the rca end off the wires to get the white and black wires?

The Rydeen cameras will work from the OEM HU's 6V supply.

The Rydeen's two red leads are electrically tied together. Rydeen intended for you to connect the one near the camera to the reverse lights. The other one (at the far end of the long video cable) is then available to provide the reverse gear signal to a HU or monitor screen that needs it.

You only need to use one of the two red leads to send power to the camera. In your case, Hepy117, probably easier to use the one at the RCA plug.

Similarly, the outer shield of the RCA plug will provide ground to the camera. The black lead with the ring terminal is tied to that same ground. You can use the latter if you find a convenient ground point within reach of that lead (a screw or bolt with bare metal underneath).

Technically, Dr123's picture is showing the R24 side of the junction of harnesses. R60 is the one mostly hidden in his picture -- on the opposite side.

As nstg8r suggested, get a short cable with a female RCA jack, and wire the cut end to your car's harness. Leave the Rydeen's plug intact, in case the camera fails and you need to replace it under warranty (or later want to move it to another car).

You'll only connect 3 things to your car's harness:

Ground (shield of RCA) to R24/R60 pin 9 (from HU i192 pin #13)

Video(+) (tip of RCA) to R24/R60 pin 8 (from HU i192 pin #14)

Power (red wire) to R24/R60 pin 6 (from HU i192 pin #11)

No connection needed to R24/R60 pin 7 (HU i192 pin #12).

The method you use to make your connections to the car's harness will determine whether you should go into R24 (where the factory wires from the HU terminate) or R60 (with the vacant slots).

It would be a good idea to test with temporary connections before doing anything irreversible.

Edited by SVXdc