LegacyGT.com

99 LGT Missing throughout the RPM range

My 99 LGT started missing today, suddenly. It's always there, and I can't seem to isolate it to one cylinder. All cylinders are firing at the coil according to an inline tester.

I had the codes scanned, and got 5 codes. A misfire at EACH cylinder, and "02 Sensor Malfunction" .

The guy who scanned it says the misfire is probably causing the O2 Sensor code, and that it's probably the coil. Does that sound right? Or is it more likely the 02 Sensor causing the problem?

Probably the coil. I had a misfire and replacing the coil fixed it. You can check the resistance of the primary and secondary coils and see if they are in spec first. Are the plugs and wires old? Hopefully your O2 sensor isn't bad too.

The plugs and wires are about a year old. I'll do some searching and find out how to check the coils. Its a neon coil, BTW.

I thought it'd be cool to do, a few years ago. :rolleyes:

I posted the FSM procedure for checking a stock coilpack here (scroll down a bit): http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coil-pack-throwing-sparks-202221.html?t=202221. I don't know what the neon specs are but I bet a quick search would tell you.

Do you have the stock coil still? Or a junkyard to pull a cheap one?

I posted the FSM procedure for checking a stock coilpack here (scroll down a bit): http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coil-pack-throwing-sparks-202221.html?t=202221. I don't know what the neon specs are but I bet a quick search would tell you.

Do you have the stock coil still? Or a junkyard to pull a cheap one?

I was figuring I'd go to the junkyard, and look for a neon coil to verify it's the coil. I don't have the stock one, nor the stock pigtail, because I'm an idiot, lol.

Thanks for that link, btw.

*edit - On second thought, if I see a stock coil at the junkyard, I'll probably just grab it, and the pigtail too. I don't really think the neon coil did much, aside from being a good coil at the time, vs. a bad stock coil.*

*Second Edit - My coil has male terminals. The one shown has female terminals. Is the testing method the same? (my subaru coil also had male terminals)

Is the coil firing in the correct order? Ditch the neon coil.

Honestly, I have no idea how to tell. It doesn't seem to be running as bad as it would if that were the case though.

And yes, I plan to go back to a Subaru coil, provided I can find a pigtail and everything.

if you have the 96ish neon coil, find a stock coil off of a 97+ legacy or impreza, they have the same harness connection on them i believe.

isnt it weird you cant spell believe without typing lie?

Don't those have the reverse plug wire terminals though? Or am I mistaken?

*edit - Just paid a little more attention to your post. My legacy is a 99, and I had to swap harnesses, so I must have a different year neon coil.

Ditch the Neon coil and pick up a Neon MSD coil. They're not too badly priced and SHOULD replace your col directly if you've already done the proper wiring modifications. If not, re-wire it correctly and you're good to go.

A misfire at all cylinders could also be because of bad air flow, a bad MAF, improper fuel flow, etc..

Ditch the Neon coil and pick up a Neon MSD coil. They're not too badly priced and SHOULD replace your col directly if you've already done the proper wiring modifications. If not, re-wire it correctly and you're good to go.

A misfire at all cylinders could also be because of bad air flow, a bad MAF, improper fuel flow, etc..

Will the MSD coil really benefit me any on a bone stock motor?

Possible causes

- Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1

- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted

- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection

- Inappropriate fuel pressure

- Faulty fuel injectors

- Intake air leaks may be faulty

- Exhaust gas leaks

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0130_subaru.html#ixzz2nNRusVnI

thats what i saw for that code

Also, use a 22mm(i believe) socket to check to make sure the harmonic balancer is tight. Was chasing misfires for months until I checked the harmonic balancer and noticed it was loose. If it is really loose, take it off, check the keyway on the crankshaft, and if all is good put it back on and torque it to 140lbs(please double check this.)

I cleared the codes, and today the light came back on, with P0130 again, as well as misfires on 1 & 3.

I'm borrowing a scanner that shows live data from a coworker on monday, so hopefully that'll help. Any ideas what to check in the meantime?

FWIW, I removed the plug wires one at a time, and the effects seem to be universal across all 4 cylinders.

Also, balancer is tight.

Archived