LegacyGT.com

My new BOV

I have an '05 legacy GT, it's my first Subaru but not my first turbo'd car.

I recently bought a GReddy type s knock off blow off valve off of eBay for $28 shipped. And I needed a flange so I decided to make one.

I work at a machine shop and run a waterjet as well as write all the programs for it for aerospace parts, and I've made a few car parts for myself in the past so I was excited to make something new.

I used 1/4" steel because it's strong and durable, thick enough to thread into and thin enough to save on space. I don't like the aftermarket BOV flanges that people sell that bolt on then have a tube that goes to your new flange for whatever blow off valve you have. My design is much simpler and efficient.

I made the stock recirc the overall size then had an appropriate sized hole in the middle for the air to travel through, then added type s (or all greddy as far as my knowledge) holes for the BOV to bolt to and threaded them.

Used a gasket on the bottom and a gasket between the new flange and the BOV.

As you know you also need a recirc plug so I made some measurements and had a coworker friend put some aluminum on a lathe and make me one in trade for a breakfast burrito haha, this is the final result, and the plastic engine cover fits on still

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/Nismo253/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsec904332.jpghttp://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/Nismo253/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps707fe1f7.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/Nismo253/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4edad1fb.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/Nismo253/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsc0b23bec.jpg

The adapters in question already exist.

Nice work on it though.

I am still amazed at the time/effort/cost people will go through to use a $30 eBay part that is basically guaranteed to fail and is in violation of international copyright laws. Lol.

To each his own.

I am still amazed at the time/effort/cost people will go through to use a $30 eBay part that is basically guaranteed to fail and is in violation of international copyright laws. Lol.

A) Wasn't a lot of effort, wrote the program in 5 minutes, cut in another 5

B) I don't know why people get down on knock off or "ebay parts" so much, i've had timing chains, turbos, BOV's and more that were from ebay and nothing has ever failed me.

I guess some people can't handle doing the work themselves therefore wouldn't wanna risk something failing, then having to pay a shop to fix it again.

I see you plugged the bpv return hose so you are running vta which if you aren't tuned for is not really recommended. Nice machine work though on both parts.

Yeah I wanted to hear the noise so I had to not recirc it, idles slightly different, but I have an uppipe in my garage, waiting on a downpipe then ill put those in and get a tune

If you have access and a boss that lets you use the tools/materials for personal use why not. I would make all sorts of "1 offs" for myself. I applaud your work.

Why get down on knock off eBay parts??? Because if real manufactures who actually perform R&D (which is expensive) cant make a profit (possibly due to knock offs under cutting them) then no one will ever make any new parts. No incentive. Besides the incredibly high failure rates and questionable quality. I cant sell my customers what cant be warrantied.

...Because if real manufactures who actually perform R&D cant make a profit (possibly due to knock offs under cutting them) then no one will ever make any new parts.

This is exactly why aftermarket prices are so high, the R&D cost gets passed on down the same way taxes do...if there were no knockoffs more parts would sell and spread the R&D cost among many instead of the few.

Sorry for the hi-jack, you flange looks great!

These chinese companies take something someone else made and copy it and most of the time do a poor job at that. Then the make it of poor quality material and usually have terrible quality control to get the cost down. I am the service manager of a tractor company and see it all the time with the chinese knock off engines. They copy companies like honda, kawasaki, kohler, etc and make a cheap engine to get people to buy them but then you have a hard time buying replacement parts if you even can get any info on the engine.

Archived