LegacyGT.com

Head Gaskets?

Make sure you have the heater valve full-open (85* on dual-auto control) and key in the "on/run" position, otherwise the heater valve will close.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well I squeezed the tubes until I could squeeze no more. I started the car up with heat on 85 and I didn't see any bubbles in the turbo tank. The coolant just seemed to be swishing about so to speak so I couldn't see air bubbles anyway.

I let it run for several minutes, and it took forever for the fan to kick, and it barely stayed on at all. The temp gauge crawled up to 1/4 and never got any higher while the car was idling. I did notice a vapor or mist coming off of the turbo tank where the second radiator cap screws on. Not sure what that was.

Since the temp gauge was staying at 1/4, and the turbo tank didn't look like it needed to be topped I decided to drive it around. Since it was only overheating during street/neighborhood driving, thats what I did. Previously, the temp only climbed when the fan kicked on, and it only seemed to happen when the heat was off. So I drove with the heat off for awhile, and drove with the heat on for awhile, and nothing happened. Fan didn't kick on for more than a second, and the temp stayed constant the entire drive.

I'm going to go check the levels once it's cooled down. Overflow tank was at same level as it was before I burped the system. I have a long highway drive tomorrow and I was going to take my other car, but guess I'll take it and see how it goes. Hopefully this may have done the trick. Thanks!!!

So are you going to replace your t-stat or did you already?

Forgive me but it's cheap, easy and sure sounds like yours is bad.

If you did and I missed it then disregard this post.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Drive today went great. About 30 miles freeway and 8 city one way, then back. Car acted perfectly normal. I drove around the city a bit running errands after that and it drove just fine. Checked fluids after I got home and everything seems normal.

So are you going to replace your t-stat or did you already?

I have not. The t-stat is only a little over a year old and I was going to wait to see how the car acts after burping and topping off before I do so.

His HG is blown. You're all wasting his time.

Do you think this because of how this problem arose? The exhaust issue I was having?

I'm going to try and get it into the shop hopefully late this week or next to check it. Is there a good HG test besides the block test?

I'm gathering on the drive you didn't hit much high boost.

You'll need to do a few full boost runs to see if the HG can hold the pressure or it lets it leak into the cooling system and overflows the tank.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm gathering on the drive you didn't hit much high boost.

You'll need to do a few full boost runs to see if the HG can hold the pressure or it lets it leak into the cooling system and overflows the tank.

No I didn't. Is that most likely what caused the overflow tank to rise so much in the first place? I was curious how it lowered so much also.

I took it out today and after it warmed up did a bit of spirited driving. Everything acted normal, I can't tell if the overflow tank level rose at all, it may have, but I can't say with any certainty.

Finally able to get it into the shop tomorrow for a diagnosis.

Combustion gases enter the coolant jacket and over pressurize cooling system. This pushes coolant into overflow tank. Overflow tank overflows. System cools down and sucks coolant out of overflow tank. Because coolant was lost, it sucks it all in and then sucks air. This repeats until most of the coolant has leaked onto the ground and your car eventually overheats, making the headgasket issue worse.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

You may have caught yours just after system sucked in enough air to cause the engine temp to raise and not damage the HG's.

Keep an eye on it for a while, carry coolant with you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Well got a call back from the shop. They used an exhaust 4 gas analyzer and found over 200 ppm of HC's in the overflow tank. He didn't say if they found any in the radiator neck, but I guess that's a moot point.

I've read this isn't a full proof test either and HC's can get into your system a variety of ways, but coupled with other signs it sounds like it's whats going on. Strange, things seem normal now. Hooray for $2500-3k bills before the Holidays. This coupled with the other $1500 of work I need done, maybe I should just say F it and get a new engine?!?!:spin:

You may have caught yours just after system sucked in enough air to cause the engine temp to raise and not damage the HG's.

Keep an eye on it for a while, carry coolant with you.

X2, keep the extra coolant with you.

Archived