LegacyGT.com

low dyno numbers = Tuner fail?

So I got my wife's car back from a custom tuner and after doing a bunch of searching on this site I'm wondering if the tuner has made a mistake.

Mods are a BNR 16g, COBB catted downpipe, TurboXS catless up-pipe, and the FP inline oil filter. Stock injectors/TMIC/pump/intake/cat-back/5EAT (hexmods for Xmas). Running Rotella T6 and new NGK plugs.

Tune was made at 700 feet of elevation and 91 octane (I can get E85 all day long but 93 is nearly extinct here in Wisconsin). Tuned on a Dynojet 424.

Boost is peaking at 19PSI which seems too high based on comments made on this site and NASIOC.

Results on the Dyno sheet show 230WHP and 257ft.lbs torque.

Fahr_Side's postings (thank you), and others too, say my mods should make 270 to 300WHP.

Tuner says he basically just retards the timing on Subaru's and he took the car all the way to the point where it was bouncing off the rev-limiter when on the dyno.

I'm afraid to let her drive the car at this point.

Is this guy some sort of @ss-Hat or have I missed something?

Thanks for any help, it is appreciated.

You should head over to the tuning section. You need to give us a learning view to ensure the car isn't knocking. If there is no knock then you can do some logging pulls and we will review the logs to see if the car seems to be running good.

19PSI is fine for a 16G. On 91 octane you can't run much timing. While the power seems a little low it might be a safer tune.

Don't be so quick to throw your tuner under the bus with what you gave him to tune.

Your COBB catted DP is a restriction, your stock fueling and TMIC are also a restriction and you are not fully utilizing your investment in the 16g at this point.

Also, beware ** with those torque levels your tranny is severely stressed without the HEXMods valve body upgrade. Make sure you upgrade ASAP to synthetic tranny fluids ( I use the Amsoil Universal ATF every 10K with my tranny--2nd one...) And no, unless you've really damaged your tranny, you do not need to replace the tranny filter.

Good luck!

I believe you're seeing figures that are about right for the tranny. I was told that the stock tranny with a cooler is good till about 350 hp which you're not hitting yet. I think until you're pushing more power (if you plan to) or you start dragging it you're going to be fine.

I've been running stage 2 16psi and monitoring my fluid condition. It hasn't gone dark yet in 15k. It was my plan to switch to redline ATF on the next cycle and then resume 30k changes. My car is a commuter car though.

I was told that the stock tranny with a cooler is good till about 350 hp

Thanks, I was wondering what the stock tranny would hold.

Will be changing the tranny fluid asap and I'm wondering if a flush and refill with sythetic is the way to go?. Seems like Ford trannies always pop within 10k of a flush job.

• I Donated
Thanks, I was wondering what the stock tranny would hold.

Will be changing the tranny fluid asap and I'm wondering if a flush and refill with sythetic is the way to go?. Seems like Ford trannies always pop within 10k of a flush job.

I have heard that a drain and fill is fine, but a flush is a no-no.

Archived