LegacyGT.com

When to cut your losses?

Skidude

I am trying to replace the torn LCA bushings on my OBXT, but every single bolt is absolutely refusing to budge. I ruined the sway bar end links, and that is about as far as I have gotten in 3 afternoons working on this.

I am trying to get the ball joint pinch bolt out, but it has so far twisted the head about 1/8 turn without budging. I kind of want to just give up, put the car back together, and try again next spring when I have a summer car to drive.

At what point would you just cut your losses, put the car back together, and try again later when you can afford to just replace most of the rusty front end?

If it's your daily driver and you must have it done for Monday morning, it might be best to wait until you take it off the road for a few days. The other way to do this is pick up a pair of knuckles at a junk yard and rebuild those so they are ready to swap in. I did this recently when I put in new struts. The pinch bolt can be a tough one. Sometimes penetrating oil and heat can get it loose, sometimes the head still twists off. I've drilled them out and used through bolts (grade 8) but it's much easier to do that with knuckle removed. I did wheel bearings while I was in there too. Maybe salt exposure isn't quite as bad in southern New England but I haven't run into problems removing front control arms (or LCA bushings) on 200K mile CT cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived