LegacyGT.com

Has anyone used the Brake Booster Brace?

WELL! We're gonna find out cuz my brace came in yesterday!

Just checking to see if you've had a chance to install your brace yet and to see how it is...

I just ordered the one from Ebay- the lowest the guy would go was $86 shipped (claimed he wasn't making any profit on it which might be true given Grimmspeed is charging $99 + shipping), so hopefully I get it in another week or so.

After I got home tonight, I had my wife push the brake pedal while I watched the master cylinder- yeah I could see it move slightly (I'm thinking like 1/16" of an inch or so- not sure if that's typical or have some people had worse flex than that...). I'm wondering if the brace preventing that movement will have much of an effect on braking or not.

there is more slack in the rest of the system than this. Choice between stainless lines and this? No brainer, ss lines.

removing that extra 1/16 of travel isn't going to make any difference if you are braking correctly, ie using full travel every time.

I put the brace on yesterday and I felt a noticeable (albeit not huge) difference in brake response. At some point, might so the SS line route too, but this was a cheaper and easier place to start.

Observations- There seems to be less to remove on 2nd gen Leggy's than other Subaru models. Just remove the WW tank and the fuel filter and fuel filter bracket, also disconnect the wring loom near the driver's side of the engine from the bracket (which will come off), and there is a plastic clip holding other wiring that needs to be popped out of its hole on the back side of the strut tower (that will be used as a mounting hole for the brace). Just bolt in the brace with four bolts, and install the shaft with contact plate qand adjust to the tighten up to the master cylinder and you're done. Also take a zip tie and attach it to the aforementioned wire loom and attach it to a hole in the brace.

Yep, it's filter (I made the edit in my write-up).

Yes the materials can't more than a few $'s- just paying for someone to cut, weld and machine the brace. Oh and you get a cool Grimmspeed sticker (must be worth at least 50 cents)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Excellent. Once it arrives ill install it and report my results. For $80 why not? Everyone in WRX's n shit like it. Have you watched our firewalls flex when you press the brakes?

So i argue with one of my buddies a lot on car maintenence, upgrades, cost efficiency, etc... he manages a meineke out here in colorado and wants to claim sites like these as full of “wannabe mechanics” that dont actually know what they are doing and just want to make opinions off of advice THEYVE been given blah blah blah.. he tried telling me this brace is useless and that EVERY model vehicle has the same firewall flex regardless.

Slight rant right there as ill trust almost any advice you guys give me 🤷*♂️🤙

Why do all these small shop mamagers think they are so entitled 😩

He has common sense about some things.. but on other notes he tries tellng me felpro products out perform factory units (i.e headgasket kits, headbolts) 🤷*♂️ I dont know what to trust that he tells me 😓

I find that there are some people who think that because they took a semester certification class in something that they are now doctoral level experts on that topic and everyone else is not just not as smart, but actually wrong, no matter what they say. Check with him and see how proud he is of his ASE.

There are certainly a lot of misinformed people on the internet. There are also some people here that have a huge amount of knowledge. Some of those informed ones are actually fancy pro mechanics that are here on their spare time. Some are just damn smart people. Some have taught themself to be a really good mechanic for the specific car they have and don't know much general stuff.

On the specific topic of the brace. Most people can't feel the difference even when someone shows them. Some people can feel it and don't care. Some, like me, do care. It's not that your stopping distance will be 5 feet shorter. It's more like blondes and brunettes. In my perfect fantasy world I prefer black hair, but I'll certainly drive the hell out of a car without a brace if that is what I have. Or, blade vs electric. Or carpet vs hardwood. There are a million things where most people don't care and some of the ones that can't tell or don't care want to disparage those who do.

Archived