LegacyGT.com

Spec.B Brakes

pm2009gtspecb

Anyone out there with a 2009-ish spec.b that tracks their car? How do the brakes hold up? Any suggestions on what to do to the car to prep for a day at the track? So far, depending on what responses I get, I am planning on replacing (not upgrading) the stock pads and getting new tires. Currently, I have basically no mods (SPT exhaust and COBB AP with plans for more). I have some track experience, but never in my own car and never with a Subaru, so any tips or advice from someone with experience would be fantastic.

Anyone out there with a 2009-ish spec.b that tracks their car? How do the brakes hold up? Any suggestions on what to do to the car to prep for a day at the track? So far, depending on what responses I get, I am planning on replacing (not upgrading) the stock pads and getting new tires. Currently, I have basically no mods (SPT exhaust and COBB AP with plans for more). I have some track experience, but never in my own car and never with a Subaru, so any tips or advice from someone with experience would be fantastic.

The brakes are pretty big so if you use a sufficient pad compound for the tires you run they can hold up OK. That said - it's heavy and fast so you are going to make a LOT of heat.

Things I would consider mandatory:

High Temp fluid - ATE or better

A bit of heat wrap around the tie rod ends and ball joint boots. The rotors will get red hot and the boots can easily get cooked if you don't insulate them.

Brake Pads to match your tire/skill and length of session/track you are running. With the weight and power of the car I would generally recommend at least an entry level race pad.

Further upgrades:

The brakes are big but mushy. The master cylinder brace can help that.

I see you are local by the way - with VIR being essentially closed till March where do you plan on going?

Good info there from KNS Brakes.

I normally tell people the contact Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com he helps out here a lot for free.

He will sell you what you need and not things you don't need.

May be PM KNS Brakes and see what he can do for you, if he sells parts.

I try to recommend the people who help out and are trying to make a living selling parts or like m sprank and Mike at AZP have a brick and mortar repair shop.

Support those the support the forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The brakes are pretty big so if you use a sufficient pad compound for the tires you run they can hold up OK. That said - it's heavy and fast so you are going to make a LOT of heat.

Things I would consider mandatory:

High Temp fluid - ATE or better

A bit of heat wrap around the tie rod ends and ball joint boots. The rotors will get red hot and the boots can easily get cooked if you don't insulate them.

Brake Pads to match your tire/skill and length of session/track you are running. With the weight and power of the car I would generally recommend at least an entry level race pad.

Further upgrades:

The brakes are big but mushy. The master cylinder brace can help that.

I see you are local by the way - with VIR being essentially closed till March where do you plan on going?

Thanks for the info. VIR was where I was looking to go, just not until about mid April. This is just me trying to find out what I can tell my wife to get me for christmas. :D

Good info there from KNS Brakes.

I normally tell people the contact Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com he helps out here a lot for free.

He will sell you what you need and not things you don't need.

May be PM KNS Brakes and see what he can do for you, if he sells parts.

I try to recommend the people who help out and are trying to make a living selling parts or like m sprank and Mike at AZP have a brick and mortar repair shop.

Support those the support the forum.

Thanks Max.

I'll be seeing Mike later this week at PRI in fact.

Archived