LegacyGT.com

broke my shit

I hit a guard rail busted the radiator all to shit drove like half a mile the car thermometer gauge almost got in the red zone so I turned it off cause I was just trying to get back home. So I pulled over and turned the car off waited like 5 minutes went to turn it on and it would not start.

Its in the shop now. Waiting for Monday for the official news but I'm afraid I cooked the engine

Its an 07 legacy gt

When I went to turn it on again the screen in the gauges said something along the lines of run mode changed or something like that I have a really shitty battery too so that might have been the reason it wouldn't start.

But like I said it didn't die while I was driving I pulled over and turned the car off then tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't start .

What do you guys think?

Most of us that have checked, have found it cheaper over all to either rebuild what you got and add forged pistons for more HP or buy a new shortblock EJ257 form a Vendor on here. Last check they were like $1600.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Alright well I guess I will really have to wait until Monday to get a diagnosis but I really doubt I cooked the engine. It might have shut down on its own because of the run mode change came up on the display. Then I tried one last time to turn her over but all I got was clicking because of the crap battery.

Any more input on what kinds of engines will fit in the 07 legacy gt would be much appreciated

Also what my best options are in a worst case scenario if the engine was damaged( go with rebuild etc)

Thanks

Driving without coolant, I would always assume the worst, but then be grateful if things end up being fine. I'd be worrying myself! If all you get is a click, you could have knocked your battery cable lose in your impact. Thus resulting in your car running on the power the alternator was producing.

As for blocks, you can put either an EJ255 or EJ257 in.

But you'll need to use the Legacy heads. (EJ255)

If you knew your radiator was busted to shit and all the coolant was gone, why oh why did you drivei t? Ugh... the gauge becomes USELESS when your coolant is gone. You end up with some extremely hot pockets in the engine.

anymore input before i have a heart attack?

it was snowing outside too so i hope that helped keep the heat down

god... this is nerve-wracking

but

if worst comes to worst still, what is my most reasonable route to getting the car back on the road? this doesnt have to be a super beast engine, im just wondering what will work thanks, once again its a 07 legacy gt

thanks

If you knew your radiator was busted to shit and all the coolant was gone, why oh why did you drivei t? Ugh... the gauge becomes USELESS when your coolant is gone. You end up with some extremely hot pockets in the engine.

This.

OP I bet you've seized, warped and shredded some components. You can hope for the best but I would expect it to be expensive :(

Glad you're ok.

anymore input before i have a heart attack?

it was snowing outside too so i hope that helped keep the heat down

god... this is nerve-wracking

but

if worst comes to worst still, what is my most reasonable route to getting the car back on the road? this doesnt have to be a super beast engine, im just wondering what will work thanks, once again its a 07 legacy gt

thanks

It's really going to depend on the amount of damage done and what can be saved. The more ruined the bigger cost. It might be the same cost to rebuild as to buy a pulled motor.

If you're going to rebuild make sure you do the key upgrades to make it worth your while. Expect 30 days.

Something you can do to see if it's seized is to put a breaker bar on the crank pulley, and see if you can turn it over by hand... if it's impossible or overly hard, you're screwed...

Personally, i'll drain the oil and inspect it very closely, maybe filter it through a paper towel to see if any metal comes out... if not.. then maybe you're ok... refill the oil, make sure you have all the fluids you need in it, maybe a new radiator (not sure what sort of damage you did).. put a GOOD battery on it, and give it a crank.

If you seized it, i'm guessing the heads are okay, and the short block is screwed...

Thanks for the input guys and yeah I was fine thanks to the seatbelt chimes that never go off unless you're buckled up. Cars at the shop so I cant really check anything but I will just have to wait until Monday to see what the judge/executioner says (aka the mechanic)

I'll update when I get news and ask questions on what to do next depending on outcome. I have full coverage on insurance too idk if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived