LegacyGT.com

Right engine oil for my 2006 LGT

hi guys, on my first subaru :) turbo wagon. From my online reading have gathered that turbo engine need strict high quality oil changes with hths of 3.5 and above. Live in Kenya, Mombasa specifically where its hot (temp above 27C or 81F) most of the year. Engine oils available are Shell Ultra Helix(5w40), Valvoline synpower, Enoc protec green and Total quartz 9000(synthetic technology)......any recommendation from these named brands will be appreciated:redface:

X3 for the Shell 5w40.

Make sure you keep the oil topped off, never let it get low, or down a bit. Most of us with long engine /turbo life seem to do longer drives for our DD's. These cars don't like short trips.

So use that info to plan your oil change intervals.

I went 142,000 mile on the stock turbo using dino oil and OCI as long 5500 miles during winter.

One other secret is let the engine cool down after hard driving before shutting it off. Its as easy as coasting the last 1/2 mile or so. I live in a hilly area so it's pretty easy for me. We have temps from -30F in winter to 100+F in the summer.

Even in winter I start the car and drive it easy for the first mile or so till it warms up, I try never to start it and let it idle for 5-10 minutes before driving. That dilutes the oil with gas during that warm up. Not good for the bearings and rings

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

X3 for the Shell 5w40.

Make sure you keep the oil topped off, never let it get low, or down a bit. Most of us with long engine /turbo life seem to do longer drives for our DD's. These cars don't like short trips.

So use that info to plan your oil change intervals.

I went 142,000 mile on the stock turbo using dino oil and OCI as long 5500 miles during winter.

One other secret is let the engine cool down after hard driving before shutting it off. Its as easy as coasting the last 1/2 mile or so. I live in a hilly area so it's pretty easy for me. We have temps from -30F in winter to 100+F in the summer.

Even in winter I start the car and drive it easy for the first mile or so till it warms up, I try never to start it and let it idle for 5-10 minutes before driving. That dilutes the oil with gas during that warm up. Not good for the bearings and rings

wow thanks a lot...What I usually do is let it start and idle for 3-4 minutes, drive easily for a km or so and before I shut off the engine, I allow a maximum of 2 minutes for the turbo to slow down. Unfortunately I do short distances 13km (8 miles) one way. Once a month I do long distance...

Jambo!

I would also recommend the Shell Helix Ultra. It is similar to our Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 (although our Pennzoil Ultra was recently reformulated) and it should be a good oil for you.

-Dennis

Asante sana (thanx)

Archived