LegacyGT.com

'14 OB 3.6R front brake downsize

ne0031

I originally posted this on the OB forums, and some mentioned it might get better response over here.

I have a LOT of 16" wheels for the various Subies we have. I came to the realization today when we brought the new 3.6R home that the front brakes are now larger than they were on the '11s.

Given the types and amount of 16" hardware we have, I'm more interested in either downsizing the front brakes to the 2.5 size, or trying to machine off 3/16" of caliper material on the outward 30% of the caliper at the mid arc point. The leading and trailing areas will just get touched.

Anyone ever machine that much off a caliper?

Any commenters on downsizing to the 2.5 fronts?

Get another set of wheels. Sell a set of your 16". Downgrading your brakes or grinding calipers on a brand new car sounds nuts to me.

If only it was "1" set. That's the issue, I don't have enough room to store duplicates. And I'm not selling as they go on all the other vehicles.

How is it more than one set? You have the wheels that

came with the car for summer, you need one set for winters, no? Or you could just change over to winter tires on the same wheels. Again, modifying your brakes to fit smaller wheels is crazy talk.

How is it more than one set? You have the wheels that

came with the car for summer, you need one set for winters, no? Or you could just change over to winter tires on the same wheels. Again, modifying your brakes to fit smaller wheels is crazy talk.

There are the stock tires, the BFGs for fun, the winters, and other combinations.

It takes the same space to store a tire as it does a tire/rim combo. So now I would end up with yet ANOTHER set of winters, not to mention that things like the BFGs won't fit in the undersized wells on 17s, thus the reason to run 16s.

And just to end it, I'm putting on 2.5 brakes. Call me crazy, but I have never had any issues with the smaller brakes. I must not tailgate like some of the folks on here.

You can find a great set of used 17" rims with fantastic summer tires on them this time of year.

We are a bit confused since you purchased a 3.6R which has more oomph than the 2.5i. The beefed up brakes support the beefed up horsepower. Why not have purchase the H4 OB?

You will have NO problems trading your calipers. In fact, I have a set of front calipers from my 07 Outback. Relatively new rotors and brake pads have bout 4K miles on them. (Put the LGT front rotors on the Outback).

PM me if interested.

Edit: Popped over to the Outback forum. For clarification, the 3.6R/LGT Fronts and the 2.5i fronts are bolt on replacable. Rotor size differs.

And just to end it, I'm putting on 2.5 brakes. Call me crazy, but I have never had any issues with the smaller brakes. I must not tailgate like some of the folks on here.

You're right, the brakes on my Outback XT are smaller than the Legacy GT and I haven't crashed into anything. Doesn't mean the brakes still don't suck.

Still...

"The Outback 3.6R Limited's braking ability is average for this class of vehicle, but the Outback 2.5i Limited is quite bad"

http://carsort.com/compare/Subaru-Outback-vs-Subaru-Outback

Maybe the better tires will make up for the crappier brakes, I dunno. :spin:

You can find a great set of used 17" rims with fantastic summer tires on them this time of year.

We are a bit confused since you purchased a 3.6R which has more oomph than the 2.5i. The beefed up brakes support the beefed up horsepower. Why not have purchase the H4 OB?

You will have NO problems trading your calipers. In fact, I have a set of front calipers from my 07 Outback. Relatively new rotors and brake pads have bout 4K miles on them. (Put the LGT front rotors on the Outback).

PM me if interested.

Edit: Popped over to the Outback forum. For clarification, the 3.6R/LGT Fronts and the 2.5i fronts are bolt on replacable. Rotor size differs.

We got the 3.6 for the increase in mileage, not for the "extra" power. And stopping is stopping, how much power you have is moot when it comes to braking.

I think you're the first person ever to come here and ask about making the brakes on their Subaru smaller :lol:

If I can get the ABS to activate on dry pavement, then the brakes have more capacity than I need. And I can do it quite easily in both the '14 3.6 as well as the neighbors 2.5.

Thus it becomes a tire issue, not a brake issue.

I don't do track driving, so I don't need the heat dissipation of whizbang brakes.

We got the 3.6 for the increase in mileage, not for the "extra" power. And stopping is stopping, how much power you have is moot when it comes to braking.

The above is right on par with how much sense this thread makes.

I will caution you to not downsize the brakes. Unless you are penniless and rent your home.

The inner lawyer in me has to come out and say that by downsizing the brakes if you were to get into an accident, your insurance carrier could figure out that the brakes are smaller. This may lead them to refuse payment if you hit someone.

Similar to folks who tow trailers overweight. There is a bunch of legal mumbo-jumbo in your policies explaining if you tow overweight your policy is effectively not active. :(

-mike

• 2 weeks later...
Why would you buy a 30K car and want to save a few bucks on rims plus the goofing around with brakes - when you can pick up new rims and your tires mounted and balanced for free on line from Discount Tires or Tire Rack and get them shipped for free - you will save money in the long run and have a car you don't have to worry about stopping

Archived