LegacyGT.com

Where is my coolant going?

I've been noticing that my coolant overflow tank goes empty over the course of a couple of weeks. The radiator and turbo coolant tank remain full. I've added Subaru coolant periodically. No sign of overheating. No sign of coolant drips. No coolant odors.

When I've added coolant, I've only taken it to the low marker on the overflow tank, so I'm not adding or losing a lot.

Any known causes of this? Thoughts on key areas to investigate? I'm thinking a small leak in a hose or the overflow tank has a very small crack.

Thanks,

Eville Rich

2007 LGT

~103k miles

I've been noticing that my coolant overflow tank goes empty over the course of a couple of weeks. The radiator and turbo coolant tank remain full. I've added Subaru coolant periodically. No sign of overheating. No sign of coolant drips. No coolant odors.

When I've added coolant, I've only taken it to the low marker on the overflow tank, so I'm not adding or losing a lot.

Any known causes of this? Thoughts on key areas to investigate? I'm thinking a small leak in a hose or the overflow tank has a very small crack.

Thanks,

Eville Rich

2007 LGT

~103k miles

Have a reputable shop do a "hydrocarbon test" for you to test and see if you have combustion in your cooling system, aka "head gasket" failure. I went 15,000 miles with disappearing coolant and complaints to the mechanic until the test revealed gasket failure (which he installed improperly the first time).

Likely it is not gasket failure, but it is a very simple test with quick results.

Good luck.

I just checked the overflow tank on mine and noticed that it's about an inch below the 'low' indicator mark.

Should I be worried? No signs of overheating, smell of coolant, or any noticeable leaks.

Both my legacy's use coolant over time, say a 6-8 months. It's 50% water so do you know what happens to water over time....?

Just top off the tank to the low when cold line.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived