LegacyGT.com

winter / cold weather tires for Northern VA

ashwinearl

I just picked up some 18" Lmex Linea wheels and have decided that since I've got my 17" stockers that a dedicated winter / cold weather setup will allow me to go for higher performance summer tires on the new wheels.

I'm in Northern VA. It does get sub 40s and occasional snow/ wet weather/ ice. I will be making trips to snowshoe, WV and Whitetail in Maryland as well. From reading, it doesn't seem like pure snow tires are necessary and that a performance winter tire or all-season that is winter leaning will suffice.

The General Artics comes up a lot as good value. But is a studdable winter tire overkill for what I need?

Any suggestions for bang-4-the-buck cold weather tires/ or winterish all seasons for my situation? For the summers I'm leaning towards the Sumitomo HTR ZIII

thanks

I went to the Tire Rack and looked at your tire and looked at the survey reports and out of 6 million miles there are no entries on winter conditions and they rated 15th - they are cheap - I would do more homework before I counted on them for winter travel

• Moderators
I went to the Tire Rack and looked at your tire and looked at the survey reports and out of 6 million miles there are no entries on winter conditions and they rated 15th - they are cheap - I would do more homework before I counted on them for winter travel

Your google-fu has failed you. General Altimax Arctics are pretty widely regarded as being very good snow tires.

Edit: BUT, they are definitely full blown snow tires, not performance snows.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

I agree we have those General Altimax Arctics on my wifes Impreza and they are great - go through anything long lasting - but mileage will suffer a bit.

WTF? You just said completely different things here about the same tires...

OR....were you referring to his summer tires and basing your review of them on lack of winter reviews? That's silly. OP isn't planning on using his summers in the winter :confused:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I've run Winter Sport M3s on my VW and currently run them my 98 GT.... They could be a cheaper alternative than the newer 3D/4D....

But the Dunlop "Winter Sport" tires sound like they are the option you are looking for.

Archived