LegacyGT.com

96 legacy outback 2.2L possible engine swap

I have a 96 legeacy outback with the 2.2L 5sp.

I've been thinking about possibly doing a swap and was wondering if there were recommendations?

whats a good motor to us?

whats going to be the easiest?

hoping to make my outback a bit more fun and faster.

I would appreciate your thoughts

In terms of reliability, you've got probably the best engine/trans combo made in the entire 95-04 window. . . possibly even to date.

Non-interference, cheap and easy to work on, no slushbox.

I personally wouldn't deviate from that. . . buy a 2nd and mod it lol. . . that way you'll have something to drive when your modded car inevitably breaks or you need some widget that only exists on Nauru.

this wont happen without huge $$

focus on suspension if your budget wont allow a wrx or sti swap... thats really the only practical way to get speed from these cars

If I can come up with $$$, what is a recommended mod to do first???

I appreciate everyones input

aside from the obvious spring/strut or coilover option..

especially in wagons, a rear strut tower bar from a 02-07 WRX will make a noticeable difference, you could grab a 93-01 Impreza Front strut bar as well but the towers are already so close to the firewall that it wont make a difference mostly

you can grab larger sway bars from a 00-04 Legacy.. even '97+ second gen outback/GT sways are a bit larger.. upgrading these with some solid endlinks (C-shaped in rear, dogbone shaped up front) will reduce the body roll immensely

bushings, bushings, bushings- steering rack bushings from a GC model impreza will stiffen up the feel of the steering wheel

check out this link for a more complete list

Archived