LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Cylinder 1 misfire

So driving to the store and got CEL so pulled over and car started missing badly. RPMs were jumping and surging while accelerating and idling very rough. Limped it home as I was only 2 miles from home and checked codes and got cylinder 1 misfire. Cleared the code and then drove car and the problem disappeared. Drove the car the next morning and was missing but not nearly as bad. Have been unable to get CEL to come back on since. I understand the troubleshooting methods for a misfire however have been thrown off by the fact that clearing the code helped? I talked to a mechanic and he claimed that because clearing the code helped that he thought it must be a vacuum issue? Can anyone confirm this to be true as I don't want to waste time messing with coils and plugs if those cannot be the culprit. Thanks in advance!

Remove ignition coils and clean them with pure alcohol, not WD-40. Remember which coil that went where, but swap #1 with another.

Dirt is one of the high voltage problems when things gets old.

If the problem goes away it was just dirt, if the problem continues and it's the same cylinder then it's related to that cylinder, if the problem did move then you need a new coil.

In case the problem is still at the same cylinder I would start with running a tank or two with injector cleaner (unless it's really bad), but also take a look at all hoses and look for a vacuum leak.

And of course - clean the MAF too. A 5 to 10 minute job that can save you a lot of headache.

453747.png

Remove coils and use needlenose pliers and slightly twist the pins where the harness plugs into the coil. The harness plug inserts become loose over time and by twisting the pins slightly, you will have much better contact. A tiny bit of dielectric grease on the plug inside of the female connectors and reassemble.

I would simply do the #1 coil first and see if it clears up the issue. If it doesn't, then go ahead and switch it with another. If it does clear it up, then remove the other 3 coils and follow same procedure and you should be good to go.

Archived