LegacyGT.com

Two issues needing help with...

Hi Guys,

My 2005 LGT has a very strong vibration at speeds between 30 - 80 MPH - the entire vehicle vibrates. Note it does not happen all the time AND it only happens while accelerating...once i take my foot off the gas it smooths out. my guess is drive shaft?

The other issue i have is a little more serious....broke the timing belt doing 30mph. Installed a new one...but now there is a slight miss and the valves on both side are very noisy. Being an interference engine, i am sure something was damaged most likely valves. Question: should i pull down and replace the damaged ones or just go ahead and replace all valves including retainers and springs?

Thanks much,

Pull apart, assess damage, replace damaged valves and all seals. Also valve guides while you have the heads off and apart. Also check pistons before purchasing parts in case you have a damaged piston from the failure. Don't forget to make sure that the valve seats are good, running the engine with a leaking valve can burn valve and seat. (not that the old valve is good for anything anyway if it's bent, but the seat will be there)

Springs and retainers aren't really being damaged by a broken belt, but you can replace them if you like.

It may be hard to really notice which valves that are bent and not, but a compression test before can give you some clue to which cylinders that haven't been damaged.

On the positive side - the engine runs, so the damage must be repairable to a decent cost.

453747.png

The machine shop will rebuild the heads and tell you what is wrong with them. When the repair shop removes the engine and pulls the heads, they can tell you what the pistons look like.

Figure about $3500 or so. Is this car a 5mt or 5eat ?

Will it need a clutch and flywheel ?

I guess your not getting any CEL ?

There have been a couple of propeller shafts (drive shafts) center bearing gone bad on the forum too.

Someone has posted a link to a aftermarket shaft that is much cheaper then OEM.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Guys,

It's a 5mt.

NO CEL. Strange right? .

Will let you know how it goes in the coming months. Yeah it'll take a while....not daily driver so it will have to wait on time and money...:)

Oh, my fault why the timing belt broke. Car was sitting around for almost 2 years, decided the other day to get back on the road....changed the turbo, new struts, STI uppipe and few other minor things. But forgot to check the condition of the belt. :(

Archived