LegacyGT.com

Whats wrong with my car? Noises - Video inside

Picked this legacy up the other day from a guy, diagnosed with a bad turbo, possible rod knock but the shop didn't do anything to check this out. Apparently a dumb kid drove the car with little oil in the car.

More details in the video comments, let me know what you think

Thanks!

edit*

I have no idea how to embed youtube videos on here

http://www.youtube.com/embed/zGhhu6tD7Is

• Moderators

Doesn't sound exactly like rod knock that I've heard but I'm no expert. Have you tried revving up the engine? Rod knock usually shows up pretty obvious when you do that.

Sounds almost like some REALLY noisy injectors, but that would be a bit crazy...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I heard this through my ipad speakers and honestly I dont hear anything that stands out. My engine is noisier when cold and idles at over 1k rpms until it warms up a little. It sounds like what is on the video. I'll give it another listen using headphones.

So that is a cold start I didn't want run it too long just case.

Considering the engine is stock, that noise is unusually loud although I would agree really doesn't sound like rod knock. I had an Ej25 with rod knock awhile back and it sounded different

Did you pick it up like that? Any codes? I agree doesn't sound like rod knock but obviously not good. More details would be helpful.

I did yes, all I did was put some fresh oil and a filter and the car.

No codes yet.

I don't much about the car except for that I was told it was run low on oil. A Subaru dealer checked out the car said the turbo was bad and the rod bearings were bad but I'm not sure how they arrived at that conclusion, that was 3 years ago, car has been sitting since

So that is a cold start I didn't want run it too long just case.

Considering the engine is stock, that noise is unusually loud although I would agree really doesn't sound like rod knock. I had an Ej25 with rod knock awhile back and it sounded different

I did yes, all I did was put some fresh oil and a filter and the car.

No codes yet.

I don't much about the car except for that I was told it was run low on oil. A Subaru dealer checked out the car said the turbo was bad and the rod bearings were bad but I'm not sure how they arrived at that conclusion, that was 3 years ago, car has been sitting since

I really hope you got this car for cheap because sounds like you might have a project on your hands, to me it almost sounds like Valve slap, probably due to oil starvation, but I'm no pro either. I see you're in boulder, maybe take it to Superrupair in boulder. They specialize in everything subaru.

I'm going to check the valves, possibly do some adjustment if I need to and see what it sounds like. If that doesn't do it, I have to find somewhere to work on and pull the engine, check things out instead of analyzing noises

and yes! still trying to actually ha but in no rush

I will give a good news GUESS instead of doomsday. Noisy timing belt tensioner, belt tensioner, PS pump bearing failure, alternator bearing failure etc.

Really hard to tell. I will state when my throw out bearing in clutch failed noise happened it sounded like there was no oil in engine to my 20 year experienced Subie tech.

Interesting good to know. a couple people on another board said that I need a new engine, but they didn't mention why...

ha well I may have found a garage to tear things apart in, I think I'm going to take it out and pop heads off, have everything checked out just in case. The engine needs a lot of new seals and whatnot anyway, new clutch etc plus I have the time for this guy regardless

Archived