LegacyGT.com

Random Non-Start?

So my wife's car, an 09' 2.5i Legacy Sedan (~80k), i got a call yesterday that it didn't start at first. She said it took 3 'turns of the key' to get it to start. From my interrogation it sounds like the battery is fine (motor turns over quick). Sounds like she held the key for ~3 seconds each time.

I was thinking it could be that she just slams the key to crank, instead of flipping it to 'ON' waiting for the fuel pump to do it's thing (i told her to just let the gauges sweep, then fire it up). I also suggested letting the car idle for ~5 seconds before shutting it down, instead of screaming into a parking spot and killing it :eek:

Any thoughts? I fired it up last night, no issues at all :cool:

Gotta' change the oil this weekend any how, and check all the fluids, anything else i should be looking for? Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me....

I tend to agree with your diagnosis. The owners manual mentions a delay with the RFID security chip in the newer keys taking a moment before allowing the engine to start. Rushing it can cause that symptom. Good luck, my wife does the same thing and still doesn't get it that she needs to take a moment.

Automatic or manual transmission? I had a similar problem with my car at around 130k. I suspected that it was the clutch safety switch, bought a new one and everything. Couldn't get around to replacing it for a few days, but the problem ended up going away on its own without replacing the switch :confused:. My problem only happened 4-5 times over the course of 2-3 days, and has never happened again. I suspected clutch safety switch because if I pumped the clutch pedal a few times, I believe that would get it to start, I don't fully remember.

It's a slushbox (Auto), i was thinking the "park" sensor, in my old impreza the little bar the pushes the switch lever down fell out, so the car wouldn't start because it didn't know it was in park...

Archived