LegacyGT.com

Car overheating heater blowing cold air

On my way to work my 2009 legacy overheated. I turned the temp of the heater to high and got cold air. Pulled off the road and saw the overflow was filled and overflowing. Once the fans cold down the radiator all the coolant from the overflow got sucked back into radiator. I hope it's just the thermostat. No heat has me thinking it could be more. Mileage is 72,000.

I guess that paid for its self.

Good for you. Even at 72k, you may want to have the timing belt and stuff replaced while it's apart. Should just cost you a few hundred in parts but save the $500 in labor on that job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 years later...

Pinching off the heater core supply hose will cause cold air blowing and car will overheat.

I know this because I tried this in an attempt to have cold air only in the summer.

The HVAC boxes in these cars are blender boxes with a movable flap that directs more or less air flow through hot and cold regions / channels in the box. I wanted to stop all hot coolant flowing through the mixer box so there was no chance of picking up heat in there...

the result was cold air... for sure. And the car promptly overheated. Taking the pincher off the hose brought everything back into normal.

Coolant NEEDS to flow on the heater core circuit in order for normal engine cooling to happen. Which I think is a bit bizarre. But whatever.

Maybe your core supply (or return!) hose is pinched, kinked, or internally blocked or has an air pocket inside that is effectively preventing a flow to happen.

I had the same problems with my 09 2.5i legacy. I have replaced the radiator, waterpump, thermostat, and head gasket, but it is still overheating. Any suggestions?

Have you tried burping the system to see if there's any extra air in there? I think maybe he said it's unnecessary on the newer models, but I still kinda wonder about air in the system?

Archived