LegacyGT.com

Could coolant leak cause this?

I have been smelling this smell(ooh ooh that smell) when my engine gets up to temp and I'm stopped. It could be oil or coolant, I can't tell(maybe both).

At first I thought it was my heater core because the window was getting that film and twice white smoke came out of the vents. I then noticed a small coolant leak from a hose next to the turbo(gonna get a new clamp). Which could it be that it is the cooolant burning then getting sucked up into the cabin?

I also noticed every once in awhile there would be a few drops of oil on the ground, maybe twice a month. Which could add to the smell. I couldn't find the leak to this yet.

Passenger side valve cover is a known oil leak spot.

Could be a bad CV boot too on the same side.

Get under the car with a good light and check it out.

Make sure the water pump is dripping out of the weep hole too. If it was you'd most likely see vapor after you the engine off.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am going to get my timing belt(and tensioner and water pump) changed and I was wondering what else I should get changed. My car has 86k on it and I will just get this all done at once.

Here are some pictures that I took. I am assuming that it is the valve cover gasket that is leaking, but these engines are so cramped in there it is hard to tell.

The first is the front of the passenger valve cover. Second is the Oil filter. Third also valve cover right above the exhaust. And fourth is the back of the valve cover.

IMAG0318.thumb.jpg.6c9115affba40a07ea78ee53b90a3f92.jpg

IMAG0319.thumb.jpg.3c84e39f15beeede4bf3f1cf79258a26.jpg

IMAG0320.thumb.jpg.88201a9a496f0a771da7c7ca40c9d34c.jpg

IMAG0323.thumb.jpg.7ca0bca057738aaa222aa52bed425ce4.jpg

Archived