LegacyGT.com

C duty solenoid/TCU workaround?

Looking for some constructive criticism here. The tranny in my wife's '91 Postal Legacy (2.2L AWD Auto) had been shifting poorly and finally died. She uses the car as backup to her '97. The remanufactured transmissions seem unavailable, so I installed a salvaged transmission and got torque bind and a 24 transmission code. (The old transmission gave that code after it died as well, but my wife did not describe torque bind in its operation.) I purchased and installed a new Duty C solenoid and valve. Still got the torque bind and code, even with the FWD fuse in. I checked the resistance to ground through the connector at the firewall and got around 14 ohms. I cut the wire there and installed crimp-on connectors on the two cut ends. I ran a wire from a headlight fuse to the transmission end of the cut wire. With the FWD fuse in and the headlights on I have good FWD and no torque bind. With the headlights off I have AWD and torque bind. I take this to mean that the TCU or the wire from it to the connector is bad. The TCU is fairly inaccessible for diagnosis or removal. (I dislike taking things apart unnecesarily on an old car with cooked brittle plastic and wiring). Replacement TCU's for the RHD 91's look impossible to obtain. Have I missed any possibilities? Will we be damaging the car by driving it with the FWD fuse in and headlights on, turning the headlights off only if the car needs 4WD?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

You've probably figured this out.....

The TCU should be directly above the brake pedal - 2 10mm nuts and it drops down. Just remove the 3-4 screws that hold up that knee-level plastic piece and it's easy to get to....but yes, you may break the 20+ year old plastic... If this car is in 'pristine' condition or has some sentimental value, then I can understand, but that piece isn't 'necessary', IMHO. I drove my car for years w/out it.

A TCU from any '90-'94 should work - LH or RH shouldn't matter, but the '90-91 would be best.

It does sound like the wiring may be suspect. This LINK shows the TCU wiring diagrams, if you wanted to put your switch under the dash.

Running in the FWD mode is listed in the Owner's Manual for 'maintenance and service', but many have done it w/no ill effects, from what I've read online.

Torque bind (TB) in your case may be electrical, but the clutches that control AWD may need to be replaced/serviced.. Search over on the UltimateSubaru.org site for more info. I fixed my TB in this way.

GL,

TD

Archived