LegacyGT.com

Pulling the Intake Manifold

Yes, be careful with the back bolt. Some time back I removed the pump to figure out where an oil leak was coming from. When I reinstalled the pump and went to tighten the rear bracket bolt, I discovered that it was stripped. I just left it as is. (the leak at the time was from the adapter that the oil pressure sensor sits in, it was loose)

That's definitely what happened. I bought the car with 69k miles and hadn't touched that bolt before. I'm going to be replacing my pump tomorrow. I can't believe how dry the pump is in those pics in the previous posts. Mine is an oily mess.

That's definitely what happened. I bought the car with 69k miles and hadn't touched that bolt before. I'm going to be replacing my pump tomorrow. I can't believe how dry the pump is in those pics in the previous posts. Mine is an oily mess.

HA! SAME HERE MAN! My pump/area is just slop. Been bleeding for years

I've had to replace my pump once before due to the bearings on the pulley leaking. Since then, I haven't had a problem since beside the o-ring on the inlet tube go out. Once I replace the o-ring everything was good to go.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Yea mine besides of course oozing fluid everywhere, when it gets colder out, or making aggressive lock to lock turns while not moving, it would screech and shutter in the steering wheel, and you could watch the pump pulley stall/lock up for a moment and then start moving again... Would cause the belt screech. Been dickin with this since last year! haha... Slightly procrastinating, the summer it was better and more tolerable :lol: But it's getting colder and worse again. Time to replace for sure

Power steering is over rated anyways. The ladies will love those Popeye forearms you'll develop from man handling the car while you parallel park.

On a more serious note tho, now is the time to handle all that maintenance you've been putting off. The winter takes a good toll on everything. I did my timing belt, water pump, plugs, hoses like two weeks ago. If you love your car, you gotta maintain it. :lol:

Power steering is over rated anyways. The ladies will love those Popeye forearms you'll develop from man handling the car while you parallel park.

On a more serious note tho, now is the time to handle all that maintenance you've been putting off. The winter takes a good toll on everything. I did my timing belt, water pump, plugs, hoses like two weeks ago. If you love your car, you gotta maintain it. :lol:

:lol: Well funny you say that, considering I just dropped about $1,600 this last week on the sooby! Ugh.... Bank account hates me, BUT.... I'm at 104k and I have officially completed the following services:

• Timing Belt
  • Tensioner
  • Water pump
  • Front/rear differential fluid change/refresh
  • Coolant system flush
  • Trans Flush
  • Oil Change
  • New Intercooler
  • New PCV assembly (Putting in this weekend HOPEFULLY, as long as it isn't a dick when I'm trying to take it out)
  • New Power steering pump (Also going in this weekend)
  • Obviously power steering fluid
  • Tires rotated and rebalanced

I think that about covers it for now ha! But she's DEFINITELY ready for winter! ;)

= LOVE CAR! :wub:

Considering our vehicles have similar mileage( mine is at 111k), it's not a coincidence that we're changing the same things out. I changed the PCV assembly this weekend as well as the power steering pump.

That hose on the PCV assembly that connects to the large fitting on the block is rock hard. I recommend just slicing the side of the hose after you remove the clamp with a big f***n screwdriver and removing it that way rather than trying to pull it off. The PCV valve that I removed still rattled but not as well as the new one I put it.

Considering our vehicles have similar mileage( mine is at 111k), it's not a coincidence that we're changing the same things out. I changed the PCV assembly this weekend as well as the power steering pump.

That hose on the PCV assembly that connects to the large fitting on the block is rock hard. I recommend just slicing the side of the hose after you remove the clamp with a big f***n screwdriver and removing it that way rather than trying to pull it off. The PCV valve that I removed still rattled but not as well as the new one I put it.

Yea absolutely, nice 100k+ maint we'll call it.

And seriously, I'm a little concerned about this dang PCV valve man... I had the intercooler off and gave it a quick shot and quickly gave up 2 weeks ago after realizing it was NOT going to be as easy as I thought to get out... What did you do when removing yours? Did you remove the breather line on the back of the intake to give yourself more room to operate? Method of putting the new one back on? I'm really not looking forward to tackling this thing, it's freaking BURIED in there, not sure how the clips are going to work out either :confused:

As soon as you pull off the intercooler the main body of the PCV sits below. Two hoses branch off. One toward the drivers side under the intake manifold. That is a simple clamp that you can remove with needle nose pliers. The other side of the assembly, plastic portion with O-ring that looks like a connector plugs in under the manifold on the passenger side. You just push on a clip that locks it in place and pull to disconnect.

For the main assembly, there is a ~1 inch diameter hose that's about 3 inches long or so. It is secured to the block with a clamp and also at PCV valve assembly with another clamp. I used a screwdriver to pop off the top clamp..just pried the screwdriver between hose and clamp and tapped it with a hammer a couple times. Then you can pull off the main PCV valve assembly and only the ~1inch diam. hose remains. On that hose use the same procedure to remove the bottom clamp. Then slit the side of the hose near the block with a knife. Mine was so hard that it just split open and I just pulled it off.

The trickiest part was using a wormgear type clamp at the bottom of the hose to attach the new assembly. I had to use an extension and u-joint fitting to tighten the screw on the clamp from the driver's side. Not fun, but was able to do it.

While I was there, I also used plastic cable tie wraps on the exposed vacuum hoses that attach to the blue t-fitting since they were easily accessible.

If you do this beware the hose from one of the fittings that plugs into the intake manifold. I found out after I put everything together that I had a vacuum leak. After I removed the intercooler again I realized that I ended up pulling off the hose mentioned previously from the manifold fitting.

• 2 weeks later...
How'd you ever make out with all the work?

Well at this point pretty close.

Timing Belt - Done

Tensioner - Done

Water pump - Done

Front/rear differential fluid change/refresh - Done

Coolant system flush - Done

Trans Flush - Done

Oil Change - Done

New Intercooler - Done

New PCV assembly (Putting in this weekend HOPEFULLY, as long as it isn't a dick when I'm trying to take it out) - Revisiting when I feel like I'm in a SUPER patient mood, part going back on the shelf ha

New Power steering pump (Also going in this weekend) - Didn't go on ha... Pending

Obviously power steering fluid

Tires rotated and rebalanced - Done - Still rides like shit with a vibration around 70 :spin:

Archived