LegacyGT.com

Epoxy on rad - how long can it last

Yesterday the seam on the upper right side of the radiator sprung a leak. I allowed it to cool down, cleaned the plastic with throttle cleaner spray and applied epoxy. It was the kind you mold in your hand. I allowed it to dry and went for a ride, everything was dry. Today I used it, went driving in city traffic, total driving today was about an hour. Still dry!

I wonder how long the epoxy will hold? I wouldn't go on a long trip but it is working until I get a replacement rad. I'm still not sure how long I'm keeping this car so I'll probably opt for a bones yard $25>$35 rad. I can get one (with coupon) for $105 and if I was sure about keeping the car a new one would be my only choice.

Just went out and looked......not a drop on the driveway.

Years ago I knew a guy that used some JB Weld on his intake and it held as a permanent fix.

I'm going to assume that you have a 96 or 97 with a 2.5 liter motor. They are the only second gen Subaru's to have plastic radiators installed.

The one on my 96 LGT did the same thing. It has also done the same thing on cars of other members here. That epoxy may last a few hundred miles before it fails. Mine lasted a week.

Autozone has a replacement radiator for $130. It is the cheapest one you will find brand new, and a used one is not worth it. The plastic is much stronger and thicker than the OEM radiator.

I'll even link it to you:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_radiator-toughone-or-ready-rad_20920023-p?navigationPath=L1*14922%7CL2*15022%7CL3*15952

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Spectra-Premium-Radiator/1996-Subaru-Legacy/_/N-j4zs6Z9pdak?itemIdentifier=832866_266534_0_

i got this one from auto zone for my 96 GT. works well so far, and is clearly larger than the radiator on my 95 wagon with ej22. when that one dies im going to get the GT radiator for it. gotta change fans tho.

as for epoxy on radiators lasting, it depends on how well it is applied. i still have JB weld on my 01 dodge truck radiator, its been almost 2 years of AZ summer weather and its holding up well. an old rad i did the same thing wouldnt last more than a week before popping through the jbweld. i redid it for 7 months until i could afford a new one.

I've used JB Weld on parts of my rad, but it's only a bandaid. It's only a matter of time when another leak occurs. It's usually a sign that the rad has run it's life and you may need to start looking for a replacement.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I saw that one and with my coupon I can get it for a bit over $100.

I'm going to assume that you have a 96 or 97 with a 2.5 liter motor. They are the only second gen Subaru's to have plastic radiators installed.

The one on my 96 LGT did the same thing. It has also done the same thing on cars of other members here. That epoxy may last a few hundred miles before it fails. Mine lasted a week.

Autozone has a replacement radiator for $130. It is the cheapest one you will find brand new, and a used one is not worth it. The plastic is much stronger and thicker than the OEM radiator.

I'll even link it to you:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_radiator-toughone-or-ready-rad_20920023-p?navigationPath=L1*14922%7CL2*15022%7CL3*15952

I've used JB Weld on parts of my rad, but it's only a bandaid. It's only a matter of time when another leak occurs. It's usually a sign that the rad has run it's life and you may need to start looking for a replacement.

i totally agree. the jbweld on my radiator now was put on when the radiator was a month old, the topmost rod leaked from day one. took me a while to find the actual leak and they wouldnt warranty it out. so, it will stay there until i decide what rad i will replace it with. i am likely going to put in a bigger alum. "racing" one for both looks and the higher cooling. the stocks are too small for AZ heat and towing.

Archived