LegacyGT.com

05 burning smell

Hey guys-

Picked up a 100k mile 05 LGT in spectacular condition (minus broken ashtray/cupholder). Noticed no obvious leaks when I inspected it. Drove it home and noticed a slight oil burning smell. Went away quickly. This morning my wife drove it to work and said the power steering was heavy and jerky until the car warmed up. She also noticed a very brief burning smell that went away. Once the car was warm steering was fine.

This car had a CV boot replaced, new timing belt, thermostat, battery and tune-up about a month prior to me buying it. The guy I purchased from said his mechanic told him the burning smell was from the broken CV boot and that it would burn off eventually.

Any thoughts? New to the Legacy family, but not Suby (2-STI's, WRX).

Thanks!

Welcome,

Look at the passenger side valve cover, they are a known leak point.

You can see it by jacking up the right front and looking up at the valve cover from under the car. You can see the oil stain on the valve cover.

Make sure you use jack stands.

Next is the axle boot that is right there too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks. I'm kind of thinking it's a power steering pump issue since the burning oil smell and odd steering action are both going on at the same time.

The axle boot was replaced recently.

How is the level in the PS tank ?

My 05 was leaking PS fluid out of the rack, by the steering colume.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I bought my car the passenger cv was busted and it coated the downpipe and exhaust shields with grease. It was a real mess. Took me some time to clean it all up. The first thing I noticed was a weird burning smell. If whoever replaced the cv didn't get in there and clean really well there could easily be some grease still burning off.

Archived