LegacyGT.com

New Legacy Touring Wagon Concept teaser...

Higuma

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I poked around the Subaru LEVORG website and found a few unreleased images. They are not all that well lit so I boosted the contrast in Photoshop. Enjoy! :)

[ATTACH]166542[/ATTACH]

I see the tail lights of this in the spy shots of the new Legacy/Outback, but as someone pointed out it seems to have the front end of the "WRX" seen testing. I'm thoroughly confused now. Seeing how Subaru went mainstream with the 5th gen to attract buyers, why would the Legacy be in danger of being extinguished? I just can't see that happening considering the midsize-ish sedan is a staple in America, and based on the Legacy spy shots it's quite obvious that a vehicle that size will still remain, and in my mind, be called Legacy.

This teaser wagon will almost certainly be exclusively for markets outside the US (unless it's a WRX wagon.) I can't see this car being a Legacy of sorts in Europe either (even though Hyundai has the Sonata and i40) because then what would the next WRX be? Subaru is a small company much like Mazda is, and don't introduce brand new models randomly. So I'm curious what this is supposed to be. A Legacy it is not. It most closely fits a WRX Touring, which it very well may be in Europe since wagons are more appropriately fitted to this size car over a hatch. Subaru wouldn't announce the lack of a hatchback WRX so nonchalantly knowing how loyal their customer base is without having something like this to appease them.

IMO

It's an Impreza wagon, not a Legacy! But technically it will be much like the Legacy used to be.

In the other news, the actual Legacy wagon is supposedly discontinued in Japan:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fheadlines.yahoo.co.jp%2Fhl%3Fa%3D20131031-00000214-yom-bus_all

That just proves that the boat, while it certainly found its audience, was not, and is not a proper replacement for BL/BP generation (JDM MY04-09). It's actually quite an achievement to kill Legacy wagon in Japan, where it was outselling sedan by a factor of 3:1 if not more for the BL/BP.

I have come to beat down conclusion that I will settle with an Outback if they put a turbo in it again. :spin: I just can't find anything out there that makes me excited and also makes financial sense... it sucks. :(
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I have come to beat down conclusion that I will settle with an Outback if they put a turbo in it again. :spin: I just can't find anything out there that makes me excited and also makes financial sense... it sucks. :(

If you want to get excited - get a motorcycle!

453747.png

I agree. I will lower and make it look like the outback edition in australia

outback2.jpg.56bdad4863e877f02bf113b57fd0bf3c.jpg

outback1.jpg.d5b72c07d223793bef58bba0ada474fc.jpg

It's an Impreza wagon, not a Legacy! But technically it will be much like the Legacy used to be.

In the other news, the actual Legacy wagon is supposedly discontinued in Japan:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fheadlines.yahoo.co.jp%2Fhl%3Fa%3D20131031-00000214-yom-bus_all

That just proves that the boat, while it certainly found its audience, was not, and is not a proper replacement for BL/BP generation (JDM MY04-09). It's actually quite an achievement to kill Legacy wagon in Japan, where it was outselling sedan by a factor of 3:1 if not more for the BL/BP.

Agreed. It also seems that FHI headquarters do not have an agreement about the direction Subaru should be going. They found new success in US with 5th gen due to size and such but that does not seem to translate into cohesive plan moving forward.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

For the money I will rather keep my 05 BP and just rebuild it when time comes. OB is a nice car when modded but I doubt it will have a performance model in US.

Agreed. It also seems that FHI headquarters do not have an agreement about the direction Subaru should be going. They found new success in US with 5th gen due to size and such but that does not seem to translate into cohesive plan moving forward.

My 2円 worth...

• I know that most here are located in the US and it can sometimes be hard to understand that there are other "concepts & customs" outside the US norms however...

• I think that you do yourself a disservice to believe that FHI - being the Subaru parent company - places the interest of the USDM or EDM customer ahead of the JDM customer base or that FHI has "no agreement about the direction Subaru should be going"... This later statement is farcical in the broadest sense - this is a Japanese Company so trust me there is an agreed upon plan - even if that plan is to reserve judgement until further feedback from the car shows rolls in... :lol:

• Certainly SOA has the USDM consumer at heart BUT they are not FHI... capiche...

• The Legacy - more specifically - the Touring Wagon is the BEST selling car that Subaru makes in Japan - hands down selling over 2x as many straight touring wagons as sedans and more than both Sedans and Outbacks ( still a wagon though ) combined*...

• Do these figures really make you believe that Subaru will be canceling TW manufacturing COMPLETELY next year ( as recently suggested in an article presented here from a Japan magazine ) as opposed to offering the new Impreza wagon ( Levorg ) for sale alongside the TW ? ? ?

• Please accept that car magazines here in Japan are not dissimilar to those in other countries and need to "scoop" the others - which sometimes leads to VERY speculative thinking... Additionally about 85% of the car magazines here are weekly or bi-weekly "tabloid" type mags and between the ads for male potency crystal necklaces & near hentai manga there a a few regurgitated stories and a few speculated upon ones - - Japan is not unlike the rest of the world in that "You can't believe everything you read" or "everything you Google translate either" ;)

*Source:

1398433_10201523280338721_306003785_o.jpg

• I know that most here are located in the US and it can sometimes be hard to understand that there are other "concepts & customs" outside the US norms however...

• I think that you do yourself a disservice to believe that FHI - being the Subaru parent company - places the interest of the USDM or EDM customer ahead of the JDM customer base or that FHI has "no agreement about the direction Subaru should be going"... This later statement is farcical in the broadest sense - this is a Japanese Company so trust me there is an agreed upon plan - even if that plan is to reserve judgement until further feedback from the car shows rolls in... :lol:

• Certainly SOA has the USDM consumer at heart BUT they are not FHI... capiche...

• The Legacy - more specifically - the Touring Wagon is the BEST selling car that Subaru makes in Japan - hands down selling over 2x as many straight touring wagons as sedans and more than both Sedans and Outbacks ( still a wagon though ) combined*...

This board has many Americans and with that comes many American opinions. It seems the point of your post is to imply that the conversation has an American-centric tone which you view as hubris. I find it funny that your reply to this is an extremely Japan-centric view, basically claiming that is only the Japanese opinion that matters, while also making nationalistic statements such as "this is a Japanese Company so trust me there is an agreed upon plan."

I'm not the flag-waving type. I don't care whether FHI has more interest in the JDM or USDM market (JDM always get's the cooler cars anyway!). I also don't have access to FHI insider information, product strategy, etc. however I know one thing: FHI is a multinational corporation which exists as a PROFIT-SEEKING business. They make profit by selling cars, and they happen to sell about as many cars in the USA as in the rest of the world combined (http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/contents/pdf_en_86694.pdf). Therefore, FHI cares very, very much about American sales and American opinion of their vehicles.

This board has many Americans and with that comes many American opinions. It seems the point of your post is to imply that the conversation has an American-centric tone which you view as hubris.

Sorry if I made it seem like I was criticizing the opinions of the whole forum... My post was in response to comments by a single poster as was not meant to be critical in any way - hence I quoted SubOperator in my post...

But you are completely right - and as such I must thank you for reinforcing the message I was trying to deliver - there are many other points of veiw out there beyond the "American-centric" view...

I find it funny that your reply to this is an extremely Japan-centric view, basically claiming that is only the Japanese opinion that matters, while also making nationalistic statements such as "this is a Japanese Company so trust me there is an agreed upon plan."

My reply was actually not coming from a Japan-centric view - it came from having grown up in North American, having been in business there for 25 years and now having lived in and done business in Japan for more than a decade...

So as opposed to "nationalistic" statements my words are derived from "experiential education"... as such you are completely free to choose to ignore or discount how you see fit - it's your nickel....

One of the most fundamental things there is to understand about the business is done here is to grasp the concept that "In business, It is not what the Japanese Businessman says that is important - the secrets lie in what he does not say"... On the surface that may sound easy to understand - but in reality the true understanding only comes from living it - and pounding your head against the wall until a thick callus is grown...:redface:

I like to relate this to a scene from the TV series LOST... where Jack is asked by a phycologist(?) from Darma if he knows what the tattoo ( written in Thai I think ) on his own arm means... Jack replies: What do you think it means ? The reply was a well thought out translation of the proverb to which Jack says "No you're wrong - that's what it ""says"" - that's not what it ""means"".... Japan can be like that a lot......................

I'm not the flag-waving type. I don't care whether FHI has more interest in the JDM or USDM market (JDM always get's the cooler cars anyway!). I also don't have access to FHI insider information, product strategy, etc. however I know one thing: FHI is a multinational corporation which exists as a PROFIT-SEEKING business. They make profit by selling cars, and they happen to sell about as many cars in the USA as in the rest of the world combined (http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/contents/pdf_en_86694.pdf). Therefore, FHI cares very, very much about American sales and American opinion of their vehicles.

But you contradict yourself in the aforementioned statement because - If FHI cares "very, very much about American sales and American opinion of their vehicles" then WHY does "JDM always get's the cooler cars anyway!" ? ? ? ? - - - - If your logic prevailed then wouldn't the USDM get the "cool cars" too ?

And this is my point - Indeed it is most certain that FHI cares about the profitability and sales in non-domestic markets but in my "experiential educated" opinion this does not translate into putting the non-JDM market's wants or needs ahead of those of the JDM market...

My final contradiction however comes once again in my recommendation that "you shouldn't always believe everything you read in the newspapers or on the internet" :)

Cheers,

"everything you Google translate either" ;)

Especially that one - I have on more than one occasion seen that the translation of Google Translate has inverted the meaning of a statement.

So the original text may very well mean that the Sedan is the one that gets axed, but it did translate to the Wagon being axed. (just an example, I'm not able to read the original text either)

453747.png

Higuma, great post.

My reply was actually not coming from a Japan-centric view - it came from having grown up in North American, having been in business there for 25 years and now having lived in and done business in Japan for more than a decade...

Your explanation of your background provides a lot of perspective, and I appreciate that you included this in your response. There aren't many people who fully understand North American cultures and East Asian cultures. I've worked for East Asian companies, and I understand that there are levels to their rationale which cannot be easily understood by an "outsider." Actually, your comments and LOST reference make a lot of sense to me.

My main purpose for my response is that there is often talk and speculation on the Internet about the motives of the automotive OEMs, and it almost always comes down to financial reasons. As I'm sure you know, OEMs aren't in the business of making cars for enthusiasts to get excited about and then buy a used model in 10 years... they want to sell new cars, now, and as many possible. While I don't know much about FHI in particular, I'm sure you are right and that there are other factors, in this case a strong pull internally to satisfy their domestic market.

But you contradict yourself in the aforementioned statement because - If FHI cares "very, very much about American sales and American opinion of their vehicles" then WHY does "JDM always get's the cooler cars anyway!" ? ? ? ? - - - - If your logic prevailed then wouldn't the USDM get the "cool cars" too ?

What I think is cool doesn't matter though. I'm a car / motorcycle / tech loving mechanical engineer. My opinion is not the same as most Americans (this applies to many people on this forum). I don't think the GP / GJ Impreza is cool, but I'm sure they will sell many of them and make a ton of money, and that is their objective. They will then use this money to make some rare limited edition WRX STI, which we won't ever get here in the States, which will be COOL :lol:

My final contradiction however comes once again in my recommendation that "you shouldn't always believe everything you read in the newspapers or on the internet" :)

That is why it is a "News and Rumors" section :)

Please keep posting info on the new Legacy in here. It's nice having eyes and ears for the forum in Japan.

For the money I will rather keep my 05 BP and just rebuild it when time comes. OB is a nice car when modded but I doubt it will have a performance model in US.

What does an engine rebuild cost? I only have Stg 2 bolt on parts, nothing crazier wanted.

I want to see this 6th Gen OB. Hopefully a 2.0T MT is offered...

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

What does an engine rebuild cost? I only have Stg 2 bolt on parts, nothing crazier wanted.

I have same thing, Stage II bolt-ons + tune. Stock internals and happy with this setup.I would think that 2-3K range should take care of parts and labor but I didn't get any quotes yet. Hope I am right with estimate.

I want to see this 6th Gen OB. Hopefully a 2.0T MT is offered...

Me too but I keep my expectations low. Plus, if upgrading, I'd rather keep the wagon and get BRZ ;)

Archived