LegacyGT.com

Seized engine in Las Vegas

My '07 Legacy 2.5i w/only 72,000 miles recently seized up, with no warning except for rod knock, which started three minutes before it seized.

My question is this: does anyone know a good shop in Vegas who will not overcharge and do good work?

Subaru dealer wants 1700 to diagnose, which means tear down, plus 5000-8000 for repairs. Told me has to remove the engine and trans together and that the torque converter may have been damaged because the engine seized. If torque converter is damaged, then add 1500.

Oh, and I changed my oil every 3000 miles, frequently checked, so can't figure out why the engine would seize. Maybe it knew I was 8 months out of warranty...

$5K-$8K to fix it??:eek: tell them F&%K NO! you can buy a used moderate mileage 2.5i for that!

Now that ive spat all over my laptop, :lol: the trq converter should not have been affected by the seize and resulting stall. Since it knocked then seized up I would abandon that engine use it as a core towards a rebuilt long block. I say a long block over a shortblock b/c the cost to swap the heads and time it with the new shortblock will be more depending on the price of the longblock/or shortblock.

Even with regular changes oil has to be checked constantly with these engines do you change it or have it changed at a quick lube/shop?

Not sure about repair prices in LV area but I would NOT go to that dealer that is outrageous and a slap in the face to quote you a price that is more than your car is worth.

YOu should be looking to have the engine pulled and: rebuilt (if the price is right) or replaced with a rebuilt EJ253. Not sure of your vehicle situation but I would not spend $5K to fix this car or if you do plan to keep it forever.

I changed the oil myself and had the dealer change it a few times as well. Never a quick-lube place. Recently had headgaskets installed, then one side started leaking and dealer (not in Las Vegas) fixed that again about 6 months ago. I believe they screwed something up but no way to prove it.

Kept all my records, Subaru offering only 1500 dollars good-will.

I agree, the dealership is way too expensive. Thanks for your advice!

I changed the oil myself and had the dealer change it a few times as well. Never a quick-lube place. Recently had headgaskets installed, then one side started leaking and dealer (not in Las Vegas) fixed that again about 6 months ago. I believe they screwed something up but no way to prove it.

Kept all my records, Subaru offering only 1500 dollars good-will.

I agree, the dealership is way too expensive. Thanks for your advice!

Wow $1500 good will those bastards! If you have had head work done i would find those records and contact Subaru of America (SOA) if it was starved of oil and they can prove it then the $1500 goodwill is at least something but if somethings happened as a result of fault work it could help you out greatly down the stretch.

As mention, pull the timing belt cover off and inspect the timing belt and pulleys first. If the timing belt came off or broke, you'll just to replace the valves in the heads.

Otherwise, if you through a rod or spun a bearing, it's a lot cheaper to buy a rebuilt shortblock or find a good maching shop to rebuilt it for you. You can find rebuilt shortblocks for under $2k.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Thanks for the help! I checked the timing belt and it's not broken. I'll try all the suggestions to see if I can get it to turn. Subaru dealer said they tried to rotate the engine but it's seized tight and they could not get it to move. Removing the belts and spark plugs may help, though.

I told SOA about the twice replaced head gaskets, gave them the records and still they would only give 1500 dollars towards repair.

Archived