LegacyGT.com

Emissions inspection in MA

silver seducer

Hey folks. New forum member, though I've spent a good amount of time on here for info and such in the past year that I've had my leggy, but finally decided to actually join. So, please be kind and forgive me if this topic has been tackled before, but I can only seem to find little tidbits of info here and there.

Im going to be living in Boston for awhile - moving there from Maine - and Im wondering if any of the other members here can give recommendations as to a friendly place to try to get my GT inspected. Its not outrageous in any way - a bit of a sleeper - but it does have a modified exhaust which may cause me problems with this infernal OBD-II test they do. Setup includes an SPT intake, equal length headers, cat and EGT delete uppipe, aftermarket downpipe, and an SPT catback. As far as I am aware, the ECU is stock, and has a performance tune by Infamous. No engine light or anything, but I don't know how likely it is that I will flash "not supported" for the EGT or anything else. Basically, I want to go somewhere that they are going to be reasonable and friendly to someone who has an exhaust that isnt particularly loud - I hear much, much louder on our Boston streets, and mine doesn't seem to turn any heads - but does rumble nicely.

• I Donated Too

Mr Silver,

If you have no check light then you should pass. Emissions testing is done via the OBD port and as long as the system reports "Ready" then you are all set. Missing components must already be 'turned off' in the ECU program otherwise you would have a CEL - As for your exhaust, it's an SPT - that's an OEM part so quite frankly you're more 'legal' than a lot of us - it's a Subaru part. I pass emissions with a Borla and many 'missing' components that should really be there. There is no sniff test. If you find a testing station that's too rigid and gives you grief, find another - but you shouldn't have any issues.

Wellll there are components that aren't SPT though. From what I understand, they don't put the car on a lift and visually inspect the exhaust, but I'm sure if something went to court they could do that for evidence, and then they would gripe about the Perrin headers and downpipe, and the grimmspeed catless uppipe. Not that I expect anything to go that far. I just havn't had a chance to hear a full SPT system, so idk how much louder the headers and uppipe actually make mine.

Missing components must already be 'turned off' in the ECU program otherwise you would have a CEL...

So what i thought was the case here is that the turned off sensors would report to the OBD reader "not ready" or "not supported" or something, and if there are (three?) of these then its an automatic fail. The only one I know is turned off is the EGT - unless the last owner put a resister in there - but I don't know whether any of the others have been.

I know I might be being kinda paranoid, but all I hear about the mass. inspection is how insane and absurd it is. I'm just trying to avoid having to buy and install stock components, or at least having to spend $300 going to 10 different stations before one ignores the failure log in the database and lets me pass.

• I Donated Too

no... the sensors are just ignored and so the system is 'ready' - you're fine. A resister fools the check anyway and is still 'ready' - if the system was going to fail you then you would have a CEL.

no one is going to check the up down and intermediates... just the exhaust they can see, SPT is OEM - I didn't even have that and I just went into the first station I came to and they passed it with no comments.

Archived