LegacyGT.com

Replaced VF46 with reman IHI VF40....BURNING SMELL!!!!

Last week i replaced the vf46 on my 07' lgt with a rebuilt vf40 by xs turbos down near akron ohio. I believe i killed the last one by running it low on oil. With the new setup I removed the banjo screen how ever it didnt seem to be that dirty. the car has 68k miles on it. While installing the new reman. turbo i installed a mishimoto radiator.

Upon priming and starting the car smoke was coming from below the turbo heatshield and it smelled pretty bad. I have since put about 40 miles on the car total over a few short trips. The smoke has stopped but the turbo still smells very bad. I am very concerned that im not getting proper coolant flow to the turbo. The car does not run hot nor do the fans come on and the heat is plenty warm. I very skeptical that the coolant is circulating properly. air lock? if it was air locked wouldnt it be running hot?

Tonight i will park it on an incline and try to burp the system. I have read that it sometimes takes a few days for this smell to go away. What the hell is the burning smell that my nose is catching? Could it be a coating on something or worse?

Any insight from you smart subi people would be greatly appreciated.

After you burp the system you can be sure the air is out.

New metal exhaust will smell for a few day's.

Did you put a new oil return hose on ? Old ones can crack.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i did not put a new line on. and it was not cracked. i dont believe its been burped properly. still hear coolant flowing around but i think that just my heater core and on cold start ups. I might just have the thermostat changed and the coolant flushed again at my shop. im not convinced its cool yet

Jack up the right front corner of the car and burp the coolant system with the engine running and heat turned on high. Let the engine warm up.

I left mine up while I drove to get more coolant after the engine R&R.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived