LegacyGT.com

Starting to mod my car

Hey everyone I've just been lurking for awhile now but now that I finally have a job I'm thinking I'll put some money into my car. I have a 1999 Legacy GT that my dad bought new in 99 and has been in the family ever since. Its the 30th anniversary edition so I don't really know what that does for me but it sounds good haha. I've had the car for almost 2 years now and I have gotten a roof rack and a new stereo/speakers/sub, but that's about it.

First thing I'm thinking of doing is lowering it, but I can't decide between coilovers or just lowering springs. Definitely on a budget but I kind of like the idea of coilovers even if they are of questionable quality. I'm just not sure if lowering springs will be low enough. Would you guys recommend I just go with H&R springs or those Raceland coilovers? Or any other suggestions?

Another thing is exhaust, right now I just have my muffler off which is super ghetto but sounds okay to me. I've heard a straight pipe isn't really the way to go but I don't want to buy a new muffler. So I was thinking just new headers and then straight pipe it all the way back with a 2.25 in pipe, but once again on a tight budget here so suggestions there? Also I am a teenager so I want it loud and obnoxious and don't really care too much about the law. I live in Washinton state btw.

Sorry for the long post but one last thing is a front lip. I've searched and searched but haven't found much at all. I know people have put the 06-07 wrx lip on there, is that the best option?

Also I'm dead set on getting JDM projectors and maybe a new grille. Long term I'm thinking maybe engine swap but I don't know a lot about that kind of stuff. Currently have 180000 miles on my EJ25D but it has new head gaskets/timing belt/etc so I'm good for awhile. I am still in high school but am definitely trying to have a sweet car and learn a bunch in the process.

A good place to get started is in the stickies... read those. I was and am in the same boat, cheap mods to make it go faster etc, but I would wait on the engine swap and just get a newer car once you graduate.........

This is what I did:

-For the muffler, you can just get a "Fart" can for cheap off Craigslist.

- if your trying to save money, dont worry about a straight pipe for the exhaust. to "get" more power you can work install a "Hybrid" air intake, and do the "power mode mod"

-The H&R springs are nice, but if you are putting them on might as well swap in new struts at the same time.

- upgrading the sway bars was a nice upgrade to handling, I have the Tribeca sway bar in the front and the Ralitek sway bar in the rear.

- the lip thing you are referring to can be easily done with garage door trim

Good Luck

where are you at in WA?

I've had both Raceland coils and H&R/GR2 spring/strut combo... the drop ended up at around 1.75"F/1.5"R on a wagon.. that is more that youd think, i had to roll my fenders and its a good thing i did because...

on Racelands it dropped even more.. wouldnt track my car as hard on these coils as i did on the H&Rs, but for a spirited daily driver going for looks... they'll do the job.

+1 to hybrid intake and power mod

get UEL headers and get an ebay muffler, but going straightpipe sounds too raspy.. even an ebay muffler will enunciate the rumble

an accord lip is also an option

I also have the tribeca/rallitek combo (gergeek..nice)

I'm in Fairwood, kind of Renton/Kent area... Also I've read through the stickies countless times just trying to figure out what I may or may not do to my car.

Good info on the Racelands, this is definitely just a daily driver but I do go up to the mountains a lot year round so I probably shouldn't go too low... I don't know I'll do some more thinking.

I'm really not too concerned about power but maybe I'll look into that hybrid intake.

UEL headers will probably happen, and so will the swaybars.

Another thing is lately i've noticed my idle is around 400 rpms ±100... is that a cause for concern?

Is there a tutorial anywhere on the grounding mod? I was going to do that anyway but maybe it would help the idle too?

Also my gas mileage is around 18.5 city is that about right or are there some things I could do to help?

I've just been holding all these ideas in for so long and now that I actually have money there's so many options!

Coilovers and a rear sway bar. I'm all about cheap ebay stuff. Almost anything! 20$ rising rate fuel pressure regulators are right up my alley, but 300$ ebay coilovers? No. I always hope for the best and just buy and try, but they will clunk for sure. ST coilovers are like 700$ and even they sorta suck and fail commonly. Vogtlands is what I would go with. Springs are kinda dull and you will probably wish you had more. You'll probably feel you wasted your money after awhile. If you have a wagon I would get a 25-30mm rear sway bar personally, but that is technically on the larger end. A sway bar will be more noticeable than just springs in my opinion. At 30mm your tail will probably bite pretty hard at high speeds. I have a 28mm 034 motorsports rear swaybar on my a4 b5 which is significantly more nibble and catered more towards handling, but reguardless I've hit a curb somewhat side ways from oversteer because of my sway bar. I love it though :) Just had to buy new rims, axel, knuckle, hub, 2 control arms, and a tie rod.

Point being 20mm is weak sauce. so is 22 unless it's a sedan.

That's what I personally would do, but am not saying I am a god of cars, so choose your own path. Just my opinion.

I guess to chime in my own subaru wagon spring/sway experience..

WRX springs STI struts with a stock 15mm rear sway bar and a 24mm cold rolled steel bar welded to it :p So it basically made my car not move much in the rear. At all actually. Even in the winter it was never a problem and made my car far more enjoyable. My spring/strut combo was dull though. The spring rates were weak.

I'm a fan off quite stock exhaust. Catless.

Coilovers and a rear sway bar. I'm all about cheap ebay stuff. Almost anything! 20$ rising rate fuel pressure regulators are right up my alley, but 300$ ebay coilovers? No. I always hope for the best and just buy and try, but they will clunk for sure. ST coilovers are like 700$ and even they sorta suck and fail commonly. Vogtlands is what I would go with. Springs are kinda dull and you will probably wish you had more. You'll probably feel you wasted your money after awhile. If you have a wagon I would get a 25-30mm rear sway bar personally, but that is technically on the larger end. A sway bar will be more noticeable than just springs in my opinion. At 30mm your tail will probably bite pretty hard at high speeds. I have a 28mm 034 motorsports rear swaybar on my a4 b5 which is significantly more nibble and catered more towards handling, but reguardless I've hit a curb somewhat side ways from oversteer because of my sway bar. I love it though :) Just had to buy new rims, axel, knuckle, hub, 2 control arms, and a tie rod.

Point being 20mm is weak sauce. so is 22 unless it's a sedan.

That's what I personally would do, but am not saying I am a god of cars, so choose your own path. Just my opinion.

do you even Legacy?? won't find sways that large for these cars, nor those coil over manufacturers... a rear strut bar and an 18mm outback rear sway will be an insane difference over stock stuff, and is as cheap as a candy bar

you should post a pic of your swaybar concoction

ST and Vogtlands are for Audis and German Cars :) Others probably too. ST was for stating that buying expensive doesn't mean they're well made. Vogtlands are also in the 700$ ballpark but have a very very low failure rate. Choose wisely is that point.

And that really sucks 22mm is seemingly the biggest. Point being the bigger the sway bar the better. If 22 is the best you can get then i'd go with that.

I sold my turbo legacy and got an Audi like I stated and I also have an impreza. So I do know what i'm talking about, however, it's been too long since i've searched Subaru sway bar sizes :p

Archived