LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage ?

Gas is around 1.23/ Litre here in Toronto ... And I'm 18 so I may driving spirited sometimes but I've been trying to stop , I'll probably have to just have to save up by buy myself another car !

I have to laugh sometimes. I was passenger a while back and I noticed that the driver would constantly boot it all the time, and take off from the lights as fast as he could. When we got to town he started moaning about how the car was a bit heavy on fuel use. I couldn't hide my grin. You sure the problem isn't with your right foot.

I put together some new numbers today...

I drove the car until fuel light came on (even though not indicated in photo).

http://2nd-gen-legacy.allthedeets.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/93/files/2013/10/20131021-214341.jpg

Topped it off (first full stop) at 14.5 gallons and got around 14.6 mpg mind it was 100% city and I live downtown and I do have a heavy foot most days.

** I also leave it running when making short stops to run in for mail at the office, smokes, quick in and out stuff and when my dog is with me (so he can enjoy the climate control). When I'm out back working I will often let the car run. Because so many of my errands are short stops here and there I leave it running because I dread the idea of starting and starting for every stop that will only take a few minutes. Some days I make it to the first stop and the engine hasn't even broke on the temp gauge. I should probably fix my damn bike lol.

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

you must live in a very small town, although 14.5 seems low, even with a heavy foot

250k in the city. 500k in seven county metro area (Kentucky has more counties than any other state).

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

i bet all the idle time is what kills your mpg. its not moving to rack up the miles, but its still using fuel. my work truck uses about 1/2 tank in about 5 or 6 hours when i let it idle on job sites. gotta idle it tho, need the inverter for computers and such.

I gotta say, I hate the gas tank gauge in my car. It bounces all over the place and I can never tell when it's empty. It will basically be on E and I will fill it up to find it top off at around 10 gal. How many Gallons are these tanks, 12?

15.9 gallons. my 95 wagon low fuel light comes on at 12.5 gallons gone, but the gauge will have been on the E for 70 or 80 miles at that point. my 96gt light comes on somewhere between 13 and 14.5, rarely the same tank to tank, and will have been on the E for anywhere from 60 to 100 miles as well. not really pinpoint accurate, but definitely easy to track and adjust to.

15.9 gallons. my 95 wagon low fuel light comes on at 12.5 gallons gone, but the gauge will have been on the E for 70 or 80 miles at that point. my 96gt light comes on somewhere between 13 and 14.5, rarely the same tank to tank, and will have been on the E for anywhere from 60 to 100 miles as well. not really pinpoint accurate, but definitely easy to track and adjust to.

wow really? I always want to push it but I do so much highway that I pussy out about getting stuck on the highway out of gas haha I didn't even know these had a low fuel light! The most I've ever put in the tank has been 11 Gal lol Looks like I need to push it some more

any vehicle ive bought one of the first things i do is fill the tank, fill a 2 gallon can and drive it until it sputters out just to make sure i know when the light will come on and about how many miles it will do. both the subarus gave me an early warning by sputtering on a turn. i put 15.76 gallons in when that happened lol

any vehicle ive bought one of the first things i do is fill the tank, fill a 2 gallon can and drive it until it sputters out just to make sure i know when the light will come on and about how many miles it will do.

I've thought about that haha

i bet all the idle time is what kills your mpg. its not moving to rack up the miles, but its still using fuel. my work truck uses about 1/2 tank in about 5 or 6 hours when i let it idle on job sites. gotta idle it tho, need the inverter for computers and such.

Yea the idle time kills my MPG. Same reason here too. We purchase cars at auction that they list as "runs" so we take the risk to grab them and drive them back, sometimes from Jersey to KY lol, and I've just got into the habit of leaving the cars running once you get them started no matter what. I do it on my daily when working on another car for inverter as well.

I could also do well to take my foot off the gas lol. It just feels good to pace with the guys running newer and beefier rides then out maneuver them at the lane changes and intersections lol.

Yesterday a brand spanking new Lexus RX 350 pulled on me as we left the lights of my city and hit the open road. I think I had upset his pride a few lights back having wiggled to the front of the line with him and stretching to the next signal from ~30 mph rolling start (I could tell he hit the throttle between lights but I was in my powerband and the RX must not have downshifted for him). Of course from rolling ~10 he got me at the last light before open road, but as I typically do, paced with him about 300 yards behind. I know all the roads and read people pretty well and suspected he was going to take an exit several miles up. He was running around 80 in a 55 (typical for these parts) and I just kept pace at a safe distance. So we get about a half mile from the left turn exit and he changes lanes so now I know he's going to turn and that's when I ease up and pass on the right, (300 yards is plenty to gain speed on an unknowing motorist), still in throttle shift to 3rd, signal left, brake, throttle into the turn and of course I'm right behind some broke down ass truck as I stretch on the new road but I still have the momentum and sticky third and an immediate up-coming pass lane so I take it and then another 500 yards brake from ~60 before taking a 35 mph curve and throttle into the apex, shift back to D, check the rear view and he passed the other driver but failed to take both the light or the curve and that was that. There were no other opportunities to make a pass. We got off at the next exit and all that patience on the first open was worth it when I made my humble approach to overtake in the end LOL.. RX 350 - 0 . 2.2 Legacy 1 haha :dm:

I digress.

Archived