LegacyGT.com

turbo flutter?

So is this whole flutter thing just annoying? Or is it the demise of my turbo?

As far as I can see your turbo is OK, did you check it for play when you put the DP on?

If your turbo was causing issues I would expect to see your wastegate trying to keep up with it and WGDC looks to be fine. Turbo looks to build pressure fine, the system loses it somehow.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you able to take a learning view screenshot? Your AF learnings are +10% (adding 10% more fuel) at low loads which indicates that the engine is seeing more air than the MAF is reading.

Firstly try cleaning your MAF, then check the pre-turbo intake for vacuum leaks where air could be sucked into the intake between MAF and compressor. If that's happening then that could explain the flutter.

Your log shows you losing boost twice at WOT within 5 seconds so you're losing pressure somewhere but not consistently as it builds boost a little. No AF learnings at high load though...

He's got an AP, no LV available. He has to do a quick log (like 2 secs worth) of the following parameters: AF Learning A, B, C, and D.

Also he's not losing boost. He's shifting up.

What's the weather like there? Cool right now, right?

Was your car sitting for a while immediately prior to this log, or did you drive it around a bit to get air flowing to clear up any heatsoak, and then do the log? Your spool seems awfully slow but admittedly, I don't have much (if any) experience really looking hard at logs for the 5EAT. It's kind of weird how your WGDC drops so low, but maybe that's a 5EAT thing going on... Hmm.

Also, do a quick grab (no need to do an actual pull) for AF Learning A, B, C, and D. Just a 2 or 3 second log is fine.

Yeah, just connect it and log on, log off. And post it up. Those parameters should tell us how your AF trims are. Still no idea what the sound is, but I wanted to make sure things look right on your end.

I honestly don't know why your WGDC dips like that though and why your spool kind of sucks. Did you drive around a bit (5 minutes at 25MPH+) to cool off the car? The TMIC was probably heatsoaked if you sat for an hour.

No heatshield over the DP can make a good bit of difference. That DP gets really, really, really hot and the heat goes right up to the TMIC.

As the other guy pointed out, your AF trims look a bit out of wack. You may have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Wouldn't worry about the high idle on a cold start up, mine can sit up at 1500 for a few seconds until I get moving.

Yeah having no heat shield or turbo blanket will heatsoak the hell out of your TMIC, would jump on that. Such a long spool up isn't showing the same dips as before.

A vacuum leak is likely to be what's causing the flutter and AF learning, some kind of odd leak that seals itself on high levels of vacuum, maybe as simple as a loose hose clamp.

Ah bummer. Good that the leak was found though.

Can't see much in that log, maybe try another log without so much heat soak on the TMIC, drive around for 5-10mins before a pull. Also in that log you weren't 100% throttle from 2k-3k rpm.

Also see if you can do a 50% throttle pull or so, how ever much throttle is required to cause the flutter, just try to keep the throttle at a steady position

Archived