LegacyGT.com

OBX Catback Exhaust? HELP

LGT_

Just bought a 05 LGT 5 spd manual. I wanna get a catback exhaust just for the boxer rumble. Dont want to spend to much either and came up with the obx catback. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-05-10-SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-SEDAN-CAT-BACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-/161113177330?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item258317fcf2&vxp=mtr

Is it worth it? Has anybody had any problems? i tried researching and dident find anything about it. Every Tip can help.

Thanks

Essentially the same as DNA, GMS, XO2 etc... same design, probably same factory. Problem with the cheap exhausts is lining them up in the center of the tip cut outs. These cheap exhausts have cheap mufflers, so they're pretty loud. If you find an axle back (mufflers only) and keep the stock resonator then that'll help keep it a bit quieter.

Well i dont mind it getting a little loud. I just want to make sure its actually gonna sound decent. Also is it gonna make a big difference on the inside? Loud? Especially in the rear seats?

Might not be as easy as bending the hangars. Could be as easy as getting different sized exhaust hangers or there might need to be some cutting and welding to get it to sit right.

It wouldn't be too loud inside the cabin. I don't think it sounds too bad with a resonator in there, if I didn't have to pay for shipping I'd probably get a set of mufflers myself.

This is another guy who got an ebay exhaust, didn't line up so well using the catback but sat better with only the mufflers. The sound clip would be the same sound you'd expect with the OBX. (but a bit louder with no resonator in the mid pipe).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/280-exhaust-213995.html

For him it was too loud and too much drone with the full catback.

Personally I wouldn't go with an aftermarket intake unless you're looking at going stage 3, it doesn't give you any more performance and will probably give you more air-rushing sound than anything. Stock is fine up until about 300hp.

BOV, what ever takes your fancy. Wouldn't advise going fully vent-to-atmosphere(VTA), a little bit of recirc is healthy for the engine. I'm looking at Go Fast Bits BOV, can be adjusted to do full recirc, full VTA or anything in between.

okay. i was just thinking id hear my turbo and bov more. Intake wont help?

And go fast bits. which one? t9001?

Yup t9001. Intake wont effect BOV noise, only the BOV itself will. The stock BOV is really a BPV (by pass valve) so it's always 100% recirc.

50/50 is half recirc half VTA, giving some noise of the BOV but having the benefits of recirc, so this setting is a good compromise. To adjust it i think you twist the top section, easy as opening the bonnet and twisting to a setting you like.

If you want to hear your turbo then the exhaust mods will usually do that. I've got a catless downpipe + stage2 tune and that's made the "spool" noise more prominent. I don't have an aftermarket intake but I have heard that the sound of air rushing through it can drown out the sound of the turbo.

Also a tune is recommended with a BOV upgrade. Can't say I'm sure why as the BOV should only be in use when pulling off the throttle, maybe if you're changing to anything that's not 100% recirc a tune can help reduce any issues caused by not recirculating all of the air. Dunno...

Are you thinking of getting a stage 1 tune?

edit: looks like tunes are generally recommended in the case that you've been tuned on a leaky BOV then upgrade to a solid one. Can lean to over-boost. Due to it being pretty hard to tell if you're BOV is leaky then tunes are recommended.

LOL. okay, well looking around on youtube the obx sounds quite nice.

Im most likely gonna go with that.

Also planning on putting an intake and bov. Any suggestions?

Personally I wouldn't go with an aftermarket intake unless you're looking at going stage 3, it doesn't give you any more performance and will probably give you more air-rushing sound than anything. Stock is fine up until about 300hp.

BOV, what ever takes your fancy. Wouldn't advise going fully vent-to-atmosphere(VTA), a little bit of recirc is healthy for the engine. I'm looking at Go Fast Bits BOV, can be adjusted to do full recirc, full VTA or anything in between.

okay. i was just thinking id hear my turbo and bov more. Intake wont help?

And go fast bits. which one? t9001?

check this out [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI]Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted - YouTube[/ame]

Archived