LegacyGT.com

keyless entry

Yup, (I know I recommend this in every post) Go to your local junk yard and grab one from there. I grabbed about 15 for right around $10. I programed two of the very best condition ones and carry one on my ring.

Well some yards pull them out. but the ones here don't, just walk around and grab any you see. If you get lucky you can find one that spent it's life in a glove box. It's certainly cheaper then getting one from the dealer.

98 is the old Code Alarm system. . . it was used by Ford, GM, Mitsubishi, and Chrysler and probably others as well. I often find those remotes on eBay cheaper and in better shape than the Subaru version.

Search by FCC ID GOH-M24. If the FCC ID matches, it'll program in.

I use these a lot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-KEY-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-TRANSMITTER-FOB-100C-/400206816868?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2e2f6664&vxp=mtr

Only 2 buttons work (lock/unlock) but who cares? $15 shipped to your door brand spankin' new!

Programming instructions: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code alarm

Adding to the original question, is it possible to take a keyless entry from one model and install in another? I searched around and didn't find anything, but I have the keyless entry and FOB from a 98 Forester and would love to install in my 95 legacy L.

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

SWEET! Now, do you mind sharing some insight / advice on doing so?

Sure thing boss. Just make sure you pull the box past the second harness. I didn't and none of the colors matched. Oh and I still can't figure out where the heck the blue wire goes. for individual drivers door unlock. But you can just hold the unlock in that case. Now, on to the links.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25316 <== Best one. just skip the obvious stuff for the security system. [immoblizer, siren, valet ect.]

http://www.randomsoup.com/subie/subiealarmmanuals.html <== Subie installation manuals

Sure thing boss. Just make sure you pull the box past the second harness. I didn't and none of the colors matched. Oh and I still can't figure out where the heck the blue wire goes. for individual drivers door unlock. But you can just hold the unlock in that case. Now, on to the links.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25316 <== Best one. just skip the obvious stuff for the security system. [immoblizer, siren, valet ect.]

http://www.randomsoup.com/subie/subiealarmmanuals.html <== Subie installation manuals

Awesome! Thanks Scruffy! I will def add this to the dir...

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

SWEET! Now, do you mind sharing some insight / advice on doing so?

on the 95 you will have to add anactuator to the drivers door lock. that will trigger the rest of the doors, since they are already controlled by that driver lock mechanism.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1982.html

this list of wires should help out a ton for your install. im going aftermarket with my 96, with remote start, keyless entry and alarm. i also have a proximity voice warning system i might play with as well.

on the 95 you will have to add anactuator to the drivers door lock. that will trigger the rest of the doors, since they are already controlled by that driver lock mechanism.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1982.html

this list of wires should help out a ton for your install. im going aftermarket with my 96, with remote start, keyless entry and alarm. i also have a proximity voice warning system i might play with as well.

Thanks! Inspired me to add a new section to the directory - WIRING :)

I WANT to go all OEM with this but in the end it seems like a ton of work and an aftermarket setup would be much easier...

And I apologize for hijacking the thread suprastarr

the 95s wiring is whack

How so? This is one thing I have yet to really touch in my car. I have successfully tore a 98 forester dash completely apart and learned a lot from that. Next is this 98 Outback Legacy and I'm sure I will learn more.

So far I've swapped the HU harness with the 98 forester to incorporate the plugs for the center digi compass / temp unit and ran the thermostat wires and everything was pretty much plug and play.

I've also hard wired a few 12v adapters for phone charger, USB power and dash camera but that was stupid easy.

Both were easy I guess. What specifically are you referring to as "whack"? Or, what is the difference between the 95 and 96-98?

there were two variations of the wiring harness' and pinouts, and neither are the same as the -'94s or the '96+

so a lot of the time, you need to do some converting in order to use many of the walkthroughs for these cars effectively

Does that include the Power Mode??? Speaking of which, I need to read up and figure out what I should part from the donor to make that possible..

Biggest difference has already been covered: 95 Subarus had master/slave type door locks. The driver's door has no actuator, just a position switch. The other 3 doors do whatever the driver's door is doing.

So to add keyless entry, you have to add a solenoid in the driver's door. . .or hire someone to sit in the car and say "CHIRP CHIRP" and unlock the driver's door whenever you squeeze your thumb and forefinger together.

I don't have a lot of love for those old Code Alarm systems. If you're gonna spend time pulling wires, spend the $40 or so for a new keyless entry/alarm on eBay and maybe splurge on a 2nd solenoid to operate the trunk, too (a feature Subaru didn't deem necessary until 2005).

I have a 98 Legacy Outback for parts - would this have the actuator? I ask because the 98 forester had keyless which leads me to believe the later models have this functionality and I can pull it off my donor.

Yes, buuuuut. . . talk about a train wreck trying to merge those systems. It won't be as simple as just pulling the actuator off the 98 and slapping it on the 95.

98 has door lock switches in the 2 front door panels that control a door lock control unit that control the actuators. 95 has a switch in the driver's door that sends a signal to the other 3 doors to tell them what to do.

A simple 2 wire aftermarket actuator in the driver's door is the easiest way to do it. That's what Subaru's answer was for keyless entry back in '95. . I put in a bunch of them when I worked there.

Yes, buuuuut. . . talk about a train wreck trying to merge those systems. It won't be as simple as just pulling the actuator off the 98 and slapping it on the 95.

98 has door lock switches in the 2 front door panels that control a door lock control unit that control the actuators. 95 has a switch in the driver's door that sends a signal to the other 3 doors to tell them what to do.

A simple 2 wire aftermarket actuator in the driver's door is the easiest way to do it. That's what Subaru's answer was for keyless entry back in '95. . I put in a bunch of them when I worked there.

Good to know. Thank you lockmedic

I don't have a lot of love for those old Code Alarm systems. If you're gonna spend time pulling wires, spend the $40 or so for a new keyless entry/alarm on eBay and maybe splurge on a 2nd solenoid to operate the trunk, too (a feature Subaru didn't deem necessary until 2005).

i actually have come to hate the old code alarms. i still have one in my 01 dodge truck i constantly fight with.

my 96 GT has a trunk release built in, you can tie it into the option keys for any aftermarket alarms. the one i have to run custom is for the lock release in the 95 wagon. still not that difficult, just a couple wires back to the firewall is all. i dont want to pop the hatch open, just unlock it separately from the doors.

Archived