LegacyGT.com

HVAC bulbs

i saw on the diy thread that i can get bulbs for my HVAC at radio shack but i went in there and showed them a picture of the bulb that was on the thread and they looked like they where 10 different kinds of confused.. :spin:

so is there any number(ex,194,h3,78) for the bulb that i need or is there anywhere else i can get em? trying to avoid the dealership because there isnt one close to me..

Or, go to your local yard, pop out a bunch of fog light, defrost and cruise control switches and harvest the lights from there. Grab about 8 or so, you'll still need the long one, but the lights are the same for those and they're easy to pull. you can also use these on the hazard light, but you have to rebulb it.

Myself I bought from the dealership :p other then the hazard. as they don't stock those.

The bulbs in those switches are NOT the same as the bulbs in the HVAC unit.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4212647&postcount=48

Thank you for sharing, Stang! Added the link to the resource directory. :)

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

I'm like 90% sure the illumination lights are a match. But I could be wrong. I just know that you can use the bulb for the hazard switch by sticking the bulb in the base

To quote a portion of my write-up:

The RadioShack bulbs people suggest are the same bulbs that you would use to replace the bulbs in any of the other switches in your vehicle. They are very small, and are direct, and perfect replacements for all of those. HOWEVER, they are NOT direct replacements for the HVAC bulbs (with the exception of the one used in the A/C indicator light.)

The bulbs in the HVAC unit have two major differences. They are much larger, and whereas the green for any other portion of your vehicle is achieved by coating the inside of the illuminated surface with translucent green paint, the green in the HVAC unit is achieved by using bulbs onto which have been placed, for lack of a better term, green rubber condoms. This means there are two major issues with attempting to use RadioShack bulbs as a replacement. First, their smaller size means they do not sit properly, and do not project their light into the plastic diffusers properly, and second, their small size means you cannot transfer your green condoms to them (assuming you get them off the old bulbs without tearing them - they are incredibly brittle.)

Archived