LegacyGT.com

"Chirping" sound when turning the wheel

Hey guys,

I've encountered a little issue that is bothering me. If I turn the wheel, especially when I am only in first gear barely creeping or not moving at all, a quiet chirping sound occurs. When the wheel is let go of and back straight there is no sound made. On the contrary when the wheel is turned all the way to one side the sound is constant and does not stop unless I re-straighten the wheel. I am thinking wheel bearing? But not quite sure. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Check your front tires for air pressure and then check them for cupping on the edges of the tread. If the tread is cupped, it will make an intermittent squeak or chirping sound-AFTER you check these things, then have the car aligned.

Had a buddy of mine look at it today and he said the same thing, sounded like a belt. Would I be able to feel that a little in the wheel? I feel a little pull in the wheel sometimes depending on how far I turn it

Probably, might feel like a pulse or something. I actually needed to tighten mine up a bit tonight. Your post reminded me I needed to do it. Mine was making the same noise when the belts were cold. All fixed now.

It's pretty simple. You are actually moving the alternator to tighten the belt. You loosen both bolts on the alternator so it can pivot. Then loosen the bolt on the adjuster which is a long threaded part. You actually loosen the bolt on the part that rides on the threaded piece. Then turn the threaded part. You will see the alternator move up or down. Make it move up to adjust. Once you are satisfied it is tight, tighten the part that rides the threaded shaft, then tighten the alternator. That order worked best for me anyway. Might as well check the a/c belt tension at the same time. Similar setup...sort of.

The tough part for me is deciding how tight to make the belt. If that worries you, you might want to have someone help you out. Anyway...the good news is that nothing is seriously wrong with your car.

You should use a belt tension gauge to check the tension. I use one from NAPA called crikit I believe. If you overtighten you risk premature failure of the bearings of items being driven by the belt.

I looked a little closer and found that the belt had a crack in it. Ended up going down to autozone and spending the $30 to replace both belts. The pulse in the wheel and the noise are both gone now.

I looked a little closer and found that the belt had a crack in it. Ended up going down to autozone and spending the $30 to replace both belts. The pulse in the wheel and the noise are both gone now.

Sorry. I misunderstood and thought that you were having a chirping noise when you were turning while rolling, not just turning the wheel.

Archived