LegacyGT.com

Beware of competion clutch (cci)

The business practices that they use are less than the most ethical that I have heard of. Bought a stage ll clutch from them and was told that I had to buy a flywheel from them to match. I did not know much about it so I purchased what they required. Had it installed by my mechanic. It was broken in per their directions. It stank constantly almost till the day it died. They stated that this was normal and would eventually go away. Yeah, when I change the clutch it would go away. I would not buy another clutch from them. I elected to go with an ACT. Ordered the kit from Subiemods. My mechanic went to install it and called me that the clutch would not line up with the flywheel fitments. I took a picture of the flywheel (the flywheel was what I had purchased from Competition Clutch) and emailed it to Subiemods. They researched it and reported that Competition Clutch does a proprietary design on the flywheel so that the only clutch that will fit it is a Competition Clutch product. All the other manufacturers use the oem fitment design so that any clutch will fit the flywheel. To add insult to injury Subiemods reported that Competition Clutch only sells the clutch and flywheel together. Unless some dealer will split the kit into separate clutch kit and flywheel kit you are stuck buying a new flywheel with a clutch. Competition Clutch STINKS, in more ways than one. I bought a new flywheel made by another manufacturer.

STAY AWAY FROM CCI-COMPETITION CLUTCH!

Everything you mentioned regarding them pairing the FW and clutch to one another would have been made apparent with a bit of research. You stated yourself you did not know much about it, so you just bought what someone told you to buy. I wouldn't call it unethical - it's just their business model. Don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

There are plenty of threads on here with good things to say about CC, as well as others. There are also criticisms of each as well. This forum is full of great information and advice, but you gotta look for it.

We were the first company to actively recommend the CCI clutches to the LGT community. We worked directly with CCI in the testing and revisions of the clutches.

We have always posted and openly noted that the clutches must be used with the supplied FW. That the FW's are not compatible with other brand clutches and that the clutches are not compatible with other brand FW's.

No one has been "hiding" this fact. A quick search here in this forum would have revealed the answer to you. We are also very accessible for answering questions and we would have given you the FW info if you simply called/PM/email and inquired about the clutch in general.

Also, if the clutch "smell" never went away (it is absolutely normal) after break in and the clutch showed any signs of slipping (logs) CCI would replace it free of charge (you just have to send it in for inspection like with any brand of clutch covered under warranty).

I've had my CC stage II clutch and flywheel (got a killer deal on the package) for at least 30K miles. Knock on wood but they're supposed to hold 350chp as per their spec and I've been running with at least 300whp since I installed it and have yet to have a single issue with the clutch. Sorry about your bad experience, should have done the research before hand.

I haven't had any issues with my stage 2 clutch. It did smell during break in but now it only will if you slip the hell out of it. My only "problem" with it is the added noise from going dmfw to the lwfw,I knew about it beforehand just didn't think it would be so pronounced. But to be fair I've got shifter bushings and some group N bushings as well. Its been in for 6k miles no with no issues.

Archived