LegacyGT.com

1996 Legacy GT wont crank but can hill start

Hi, new to the forums and have seen a great deal of help around which i'm in great need of!

My 1996 Legacy GT Twin turbo manual has been acting strange recently. On rear occasions it will simply not start.

I begin by turning the key to fully on and it will make a clicking sound, also sometimes a very faint turning over sound but the engine will not turn over and start. Each time I try to turn the key fully, the turning over sounds becomes increasingly dull and then just a clicking sounds occurs.

However both times I have been able to roll start it and the car turns on perfectly and runs fine.

The most recent time this happened I had just finished a 3 hour drive and had turned the car off for about 10 minutes and then tried to start it again.

I suspected either a battery or starter motor problem?

Any helps appreciated, cheers.

Most likely it's simply a dead battery.

check your battery and your battery cable connections.

loose or dirty battery connection can cause this problem.

so can an old and weak battery.

another possibility is old worn contacts in the starter solenoid.

but check the battery /connections first.

this is the most common cause of starting issues.

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately its not the battery that's the problem. I just replaced it with a new one as well as cleaned everything.

We believe it could come down to either a wiring issue or starter motor? But it was working fine over the weekend, starting multiple times cleanly and easily but in the space of a 10 minute stop it wouldnt turn on unless roll/hill started?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

when the car will not crank,

leave the key in the run position,

and use a wire to jump power from the battery positive to the small spade connector on the starter.

if it starts, the problem is either

the contacts in the starter solenoid,

or the ignition electrical wiring circuit.

for more info.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/need-help-car-wont-start-196939.html?p=4177757#post4177757

Archived