LegacyGT.com

Brake caliper fail?

Has anyone experienced a caliper fail wondering if this is a common issue. My calipers are 180k miles if they havent been changed. Have spit brake dust on my wheels. Excessive heat and a center cap melted off due to heat expansion last week.

I think im judt going to buy some rebuilds. I have sti braided lines and the other side is fine and cool to the touch. I will try re greasing the pins tonight but checked them yesterday and they still moved easily.

Might be time for new calipers and paint. But wondering if master cylinder could be damaged as well

Yeah that happened to mine two summers ago, just replaced the caliper with one from the junkyard, good as new for me. The GTs have dual pistons and one of the pistons on my seized. Was an easy 20 minute max swap. I have been driving my car for two years since the caliper swap and have had no issues.

When I did the brakes the left caliper pistons were really hard to compress. While the right which is failing was easy. I might try a junkyard caliper if I can find a good one. Really irritated that a center cap fell off though! Looks like a hoopty :(

*update*

my technical school has access to mitchell pro demand online electronic service information. it turns out there is a TSB/ Recall on 98-99 Subaru legacy Gt 2.5L Master cylinders. it allows the pedal to go to the floor causing brake engagement to be much later than it should be. . . I may call the dealership but they may say im SOL being a heavily modified wrx swap , gonna go to the pick n pull and scout the 97 legacy that was dropped off two days ago and others for a replacement caliper. Going to order some Bendix Cq front ceramics as I have heard good things and my budget is .. Laughable right now.

Archived