LegacyGT.com

IAT sensor for post-turbo / pre-intercooler?

NSFW

I was very close to having a bung installed for a GM IAT sensor, right after my compressor outlet. Then I realized that the air would be way outside of the sensor's supported range. High enough that I'd worry about damaging the sensor.

Does anyone know of a sensor that would work for that?

There's no real important reason for this project, I'm just curious what the post-turbo temperatures are like. For real. I can guesstimate based on compressor maps, but I think it would be interesting to actually measure.

I just need a sensor with a 0-5v output, so I can hook it up to an unused TGV sensor input.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

You could go to a blow thru MAF system and problem solved! However so much work. THere has to be a forced induction car on the market that uses a post IC charge temp sensor (My 1989 Dodge turbo used one). What you should do is look for an actual "charge temp" sensor not an IAT sensor. I bet BMW or some european maker is using one you could retrofit. I was going to do this myself but my assumption is since the outlet tank on my FMIC is usually always ambient or less I think your actual IAT is a pretty close guestimate unless you are in temp extremes, very hot or cold outside.

I'm going to revisit this, let me look for some options.

Here is some info on Mopar one I mentioned earlier. http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/sensors/air-charge.html

Check this out! http://www.bwdbrand.com/BWD%20-%20Just%20The%20Facts-Air%20Charge%20and%20Manifold%20Temperature%20Sensors/Content.aspx

Sounds like a good idea, although I don't have a suggestion on which sensor to use. You might want to add a post-intercooler (or intake manifold) sensor too, since the air temp that is monitored in stock form is basically an ambient temp from the MAF.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

oh. when he said right after the compressor outlet, i figured that was pre-IC. Might be nice to have pre AND post IC anyway... you could calculate IC efficiency that way.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I've been wondering the same thing which is why I'm installing this http://prosportgauges.com/dual-intercooler-air-temperature-gauge.aspx

I'm going to install a bung about 6 inches from the turbo outlet then two bungs near the throttle body. One before my meth nozzle and one after.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, really.

Let me clarify - I'm looking for post-turbo, pre-intercooler temperature measurements. Hence my estimating via compressor maps and being concerned about the air temps being too high for the GM sensor.

I had a GM IAT sensor installed right before the throttle body last week, and my next tuning project will be to switch to speed-density.

I was going to have a second GM IAT sensor put in just downstream of the turbo (and again, before the intercooler) but post turbo temps are probably going to be outside its range.

PLX & Prosport are both good to 150C / 302F, which is a little better. I think that's high enough but I need to double check.

PLX would be just as useful as 0-5v since I already have their WBO2 & gauge.

Weird. I just noticed that text in the middle of the page:

The SM-AIT has a temperature measurement range of 32 - 631 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 - 333 degrees Celsius.

But, at the bottom of the page:

Measurement Range: 0-150 Degrees C (32-302 Degrees F)

• 1 year later...

Just a thought. Post IC data could be useful for tuners concerning timing, since IAT and timing are related in the ECU.

I read in another thread that those calculations can become sketchy with heat soak, underhood temps, and the pathway of the air through all the components of a forced induction intake system

Archived