LegacyGT.com

97 leg outback why are ign coils female ends

I have a 97 legacy outback limited and the ignition coil has 4 female ends. Whenever I go looking for parts the ign coil shows 4 male ends.

Should I have the ign coil with 4 male ends?

I also have another odd problem that I never had before on any car. When I pull the wires out of the coil, the ends tend to pull out of the metal connector and the connector stays in the ign coil. I pull on the boot, not the wire but it is as though they get frozen in the holes. I bought wires from the Subaru dealer. I use spark plug wire grease. What's up with that?

I was going to do something on the engine and was going to pull the wires and the one popped off the connector. I have no extra wires around. I pushed the wire back into the connector, it seems to be working but I am sure it isn't working well.

Recently I bought a new coil but to match it up with the spark plug wires I had to buy a 1996 coil.

Should I bite the bullet and buy the other coil and different spark plug wires?

Looking for new spark plug wires I saw this advertised as a selling point --

"Through a patented process, the terminals are attached to provide an extremely strong connection, ensuring the cable and boot will not separate during removal and installation"

I guess someone else has in the past had some issues and that is why the above selling point on the Denso wires.

I know that the OEM wires on my Jag were removed many, many times while doing maintenance. That was a distributor situation with 7 wires and they never pulled off the metal. Not sure what is giong on with that OEM from Subaru but to me.....it is a cheap set.

Actually I was just checking some out.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1997/subaru/legacy/engine_electrical/spark_plug_wire_set.html

Product Remark: FX54 NGK

Vehicle Engine • 1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5L H4

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_ignition-wire-set-ngk_20500803-p?searchTerm=spark+plug+wires

NGK Ignition Wire Set

Part No. 8772

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback

• NGK Spark Plug Wire Set; From 6/96

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback

• NGK Spark Plug Wire Set; To 4/97

Subaru parts and what years the parts do or don't fit is all over the board!

you need to get NGK spark plug wires

Check out this link and you'll see one. My Alldata also shows female ends.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_ignition-coil-bwd-intermotor_18240149-p?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15034|L3*16064

Apparently Subaru changed the fit in mid year and it creates a lot of confusion. Why would they do that and do it in mid year. There must have been a reason.

The NGK I am buying have male ends on the coil side. I'm all for cutting down the price of parts on the Subbie. I am finding that many of the Subbie parts are more expensive than parts for my 90 Jag XJ6. Go figure???

http://images2.powerreviews.com/media_popup.html?type=image&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpowerreviews.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fimages_customers%2F02%2F85%2F36996760_291032_full.jpg

i have honestly never seen a female-ended coilpack

you could grab a MSD coil and those NGK wires will work... which is actually an upgrade to the whole system and from what im hearing its cheaper too, vs OEM-which i hae not bought

coil.thumb.jpg.d81dba02e4a369bf76cb57c9e3548d2b.jpg

I wonder about the coil connection to the wiring harness. On my the coil has a wire coming off of it that is long enough to reach the connection at the wiring harness. The MSD has no wire coming off of it and I wonder if the harness is long enough to"

A: reach

B: will the ends match (male / female)

i take that back, i have only ever owned female ended coils lol

heres a link to the MSD coil upgrade

You'll need a different wiring connector with the MSD coil. It was posted here that a wiring connector from a 2000- 2004 MOPAR will fit the MSD coil. It would need to be grafted to the existing wiring in your Subaru. I'm contemplating doing that mod at soem point also. The NGK spark plug wires should fit the MSD coil's male connectors.

The NGK spark plug wires should fit the MSD coil's male connectors.

this is where people get mixed up when looking for information, but yes.. per information in the link provided... you will need to merge wiring harness' but the performance and price advantage is worth the trip to the junkyard to track one down

I saw the connector at Rock Auto for $10 shipped also- I'm assuming this is the right one- PN # HP3925, 2.4L L4 DOHC : Electrical-Connector : Ignition Coil Connector. I'm just not sure how to splice it in the the Subaru wiring (which wires connect to which- My factory connector has a blue, red, and yellow wire).

You'll need a different wiring connector with the MSD coil. It was posted here that a wiring connector from a 2000- 2004 MOPAR will fit the MSD coil. It would need to be grafted to the existing wiring in your Subaru. I'm contemplating doing that mod at soem point also. The NGK spark plug wires should fit the MSD coil's male connectors.

im pretty sure i got mine off of a 96 neon. and i used the harness off of my old (and bad) oem coil and made an adapter harness so i didnt have to cut my car's harness at all. works like a champ so far. plug wires from a 97 impreza will match as well.

Sadly I spent money last night buying NGK wires that will fits my old female ended coil. The MSD coil is about 1/2 the price of the female ended Subbie coil.

im pretty sure i got mine off of a 96 neon. and i used the harness off of my old (and bad) oem coil and made an adapter harness so i didnt have to cut my car's harness at all. works like a champ so far. plug wires from a 97 impreza will match as well.

Archived