LegacyGT.com

Radio leaking magic smoke

Well, it really didn't work very well anyway... partially because like every other Subaru I've seen with the retractable antenna, it is broken off.

I'm parking my car, and notice a whiff of "dust" which I brush away, but it comes back. I track the smoke to the radio, and I turn it off. I usually leave it on just in case I get lucky, and I can get a little reception.

Turned off, even with the car off and the keys out of the ignition, it is still smoking, however faintly. Since I don't want to find out that "Where there's smoke, there's fire", I pull the fuse. The smoke stops, even though the display still function.:confused:

I don't really care about that, the radio is dead. I can probably get a replacement mast for the antenna and fix that, but my question is whether the radio connectors are a standard connector, or will I need to get some adapters if I install a new radio myself?

It's a standard harness, idk what stereos come with these days but I was able to buy a $5 connector that plugged right in to the head unit I already had. Maybe pull the radio out and see if there's anything weird going on back there causing the smoke.

if you use a deck out of any other subaru up to 08 i believe, it will be plug and play

however, if you choose to use an aftermarket deck you will need a wiring harness adapter..which are like $10 if that

but it will mount into the DIN slot without modification

• 3 weeks later...

Archived